We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Medication

Manchester
Level Contributor
214 posts
Save Topic
Medication

Hi all,

I am going to turkey in a few days and i am on a lot of medication. I was wondering if i need to worry about taking this to turkey. Are there any meds that are not allowed in Turkey?

I live in the UK

Thanks

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
262 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Medication

I take my medication to Turkey and have never had any problems. I carry it in my hand luggage and always keep it in its original packaging. If your worried ask your doctor for a letter confirming what meds you take. I think you need a letter to carry liquid meds through anyway ie. Insulin ect.....

I had enquired on the Fethiye forum and was told that you can purchase most meds from the pharmacists in Turkey if for some reason you run short or if it works out cheaper than your prescription.

Scotland, United...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
16,350 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Medication

The only medication not available in Turkey is codeine which is banned, but you would not be in trouble bring some with you.

If you do need medication in Turkey you will not need a prescription, you can buy anything over the counter.

This is a useful website that gives you all the names of the Turkish medicines and the British equivalent.

http://www.ilacabak.com/indexen.php

Harrow, United...
Level Contributor
2,131 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Medication

That link is very useful F-J; thank you. D

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Medication

My Husband is a type 2 diabetic and always carries his medication in the hand luggage. He also carries a duplicate amount in his case just for emergencies should one of the supplies goes astray, and never had a problem.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
1,031 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Medication

I take some pretty extensive medication, and always worried about taking it abroad particularly in places like Egypt/Turkey. I always carry a letter from my Dr detailing my prescription and also confirms that it is necessary for me to have this with me at all times. I've carried it in hand luggage (firstly to ensure I have it with me, even if I took my medication prior to flying it'd be a nightmare if our luggage were lost, & also if there is an issue its picked up in security where I have confirmation that I need it). I have never been stopped but to be on the safe side I carry the letter to back me up. X

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Medication

Did you know that some airlines allow you a bigger luggage allowance if you require medication - worth checking with your carrier.

Merseyside
Level Contributor
434 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Medication

Thanks for the confirmation on meds. I am on some medication and my partner is type 2 diabetic, I usually photo copy the prescription and carry that with our travel docs, but always have it in our hand luggage. May get letter of conf. From G.P

Level Contributor
1,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Medication

Very good link f-j :)

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
840 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Medication

I take a lot of medication and have never had any problems in airports even when they have searched my hand luggage because I wrapped my butties in tin foil

10. Re: Medication

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, May 13, 2014