We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Can anyone advise what the best way for my 12 year old grand-daughter would be to take her guitar on holiday with us? Would it be classed as extra baggage and have to go in the hold, or, would it be allowed in the cabin as hand luggage and go in an overhead locker?

We are travelling to Dalaman for 3 weeks in July/August and always stay in a private villa on the outskirts of Ovacik. She cannot last the 3 weeks without playing as she is obsessed with it. Sometimes the owners in bars let her play on theirs when we drink in their premises, but she would like to take one of her own guitars with her this year to play at the villa when we are just chilling out.

Her Mum told her she would think about it depending on cost and hassle etc.

Any advise much appreciated.

Mentioned in this post
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Ovacik
Ovacik
Oludeniz, Turkey
DUNSTABLE
Level Contributor
411 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

It's best to check with the airline as they all have different policy's in the EU

I know easyjet will allow one musical instrument per person as their hand luggage allowance

If you have to use the hold you'll be best off with a hard case to protect it.

Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Thanks for the advise Onyer I will check it out with Thomas Cook the airline whom we are travelling with.

I hope it is just a case of being included in our hand luggage, but it might depend how full the plane is, or if there will be room to fit it in the overhead lockers.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Hi, the last two years I have had to pay my guitar as extra baggage via Monarch and Thomas Cook (as it's longer than the allowed size for hand luggage- even though it only weighs in at 7 kilo with the semi hard case). The last time I flew with it I pre- booked it as an extra case which saved a little on the charge at the airport itself.

Not well up on Easyjets rules but will find out soon- as I am using them end of this March.

Really happy your daughter is obsessed with the instrument, have been myself since the age of 8 and it's given me so much pleasure over the years and opened some very interesting doors for me- so good on her.

Edited: 1:09 pm, February 02, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Thank you for the information Codfather, as I said we travel with Thomas Cook in July/August staying in Ovacik, having visited this area for the last 15 years.

We are also travelling out to Dalaman with the same airline in April staying in Icmeler, so my Daughter will ask the airline staff on the plane, but my grand-daughter will not be allowed to take her guitar on that holiday, as we are staying in a hotel and I don't think other residents staying there would appreciate the noise. lol.

Yes, you are right about how much pleasure she gets from playing the guitar, both accoustic and the electric (Fender Stratocaster) which we bought for her 12th Birthday and her 14 year old brother also plays a (Paul Gibson) guitar, also bought as a present from us for his birthday.

They have both been taking lessons for the last 18 months or so and I must say are very keen, even doing a few tracks on you tube.

What the best thing is that very few girls play the guitar and she is the only one at her school, and she has gone from being quite a shy girl to being very confident young lady since playing, and is not afraid to perform in front of people.

Sorry to get side-tracked about my original post.

Mentioned in this post
Ovacik
Ovacik
Oludeniz, Turkey
Dalaman
Dalaman
Mugla Province, Turkey
Icmeler
Icmeler
Mugla Province, Turkey
Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
1,093 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

I think if she sits next to a Nun (who can play the guitar and sing) the guitar goes free :-)

Have a great holiday.

London
Destination Expert
for Gumbet, Bitez
Level Contributor
9,836 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

My husband took a guitar once and we were able to just take it on as had luggage. I can't remember which airline but I'm sure it was Thomsons.

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Next birthday consider a decent classical nylon strung guitar and trust me people will not complain! Nylon strings sound wonderful when finger picked.

This particular guitar has been on hols with me on at least 100 occasions-only the last three trips it's cost me, but still wouldn't leave it behind!

www.youtube.com/watch…

Edited: 7:26 am, February 04, 2013
Tyne and Wear
Level Contributor
617 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Codfather,

I think my grand-daughter would have to put many years practice in for to ever get anywhere close to your standard of playing.

At the moment she is really just trying to discover what she likes, and usually plays covers from Oasis, Greenday, Sex Pistols, or the Clash. on her electric guitar. (I think that she is influenced by her 14 year old brother who plays that type of music, and they often play together).

If she plays the Accoustic, it tends to be more easy listening music.

Still, in a few years time if she is still playing, her taste in music could change.

DUNSTABLE
Level Contributor
411 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Here's the link to Easy Jet's policy

www.easyjet.com/en/music-instruments

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Carrying a guitar on board a plane

Thanks onyer, looks like I shall be paying for the Easyjet trip but got to have it with me!