We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hassle

Stafford, United...
Level Contributor
75 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Hassle

Went to Turkey for the first time last year, we stayed in Gumbet where we had a lot of hassling. Every shop and restaurant trying to pull you in. Is it like this in Oludeniz?

Mentioned in this post
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
Gumbet
Gumbet
Bodrum, Turkey
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey
Scotland
Level Contributor
2,952 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hassle

Barbie we honestly didnt find a lot of hassling in Olu Deniz. The places that did ask us in we simply said no thanks or we have already eaten or another night and this was accepted. We didnt feel at all threatened in any way or uncomfortale.

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
332 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hassle

nowhere near as bad.One of best things about the place.

I hate hassle.

Level Contributor
1,653 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hassle

The first time we went I found it all a little uncomfortable, most of the restaurants, shops and people who try to get you to buy the trips do myther you as you walk past, I didn't like it.

But when we went back in October I found it less of a problem, not sure whether by then they had had their fill of tourist and passed caring or I'd just came accustomed to it and felt much more at ease :)

Edited: 2:39 am, November 26, 2012
Shrewsbury
Level Contributor
923 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hassle

Any hassle was minimal. I went to Ichmelor 9 years ago and the constant and persistant hassle to get you into the restaurants was awful and really put me off returning. Olu Deniz was a refreshing change and they do take no for an answer, thank godness.

5. Re: Hassle

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10:25 am, July 07, 2013
Edited: 10:25 am, July 07, 2013
Wallasey, United...
Level Contributor
805 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hassle

I have never been to Gumbet so can't make a comparison with Olu which I have been to for the last couple of years. Looking at the above replies you will see that yes there is a level of 'touting' from the bars, restaurants and day trip companies. I don't think that it can be avoided in this type of tourist driven resort bearing in mind the length of season unless you remain in your hotel for the duration of your stay. It can become intrusive when all you're trying to do is have a walk around the resort and touts generally do accept a firm 'No' in response. My problem was that each time I went out for a half hour stroll I had to be continually saying 'No' every few minutes, this was still the same after being in the resort for nearly two weeks. As mentioned this is the nature of this type of resort and will be the same wherever you go to one degree or another.

Mentioned in this post
Gumbet
Gumbet
Bodrum, Turkey
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
349 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hassle

I have been to Gumbet twice about 9 years ago . this was our first holiday to Turkey and we got so much hassle I was ready for going home . But after a few days got used to it and played them at their own game and either said we had eaten or got some free drinks or desserts with our meal . Have now been to Olu Deniz six times , alreadyt booked for next year . Yes you do still get some hassle but not on the scale as Gumbet . As mentioned they will take no for an answer - say you have already eaten and that you will come another night . Some places don't bother you . Best thing is to walk down middle of street and not to make too much eye contact . I adore OD and wouldn't go anywhere else . I feel safe there . As we know the resort we tend to know where we are heading too when we go out at night so don't really get bothered . During the day it is too hot to walk around and no-one really bothers you .

Edited: 10:46 am, November 26, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Gumbet
Gumbet
Bodrum, Turkey
Turkey
Turkey
Europe
North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
7,138 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hassle

Just hand out some double glazing leaflets on your first day. Works wonders and they start hiding as you head down the strip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
101 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hassle

We have been to Gumbet & to Olu Deniz & like mentioned above the restaurants & bars ask if you have eaten or would like a drink in their bar but if you simply say no thank you they are fine. What we found was when you went in shops they didnt hassle you to buy things like they do in Gumbet, if you wanted to pick something up & look at it you didnt get someone following you trying to sell it to you.

Mentioned in this post
Gumbet
Gumbet
Bodrum, Turkey
Kent
Level Contributor
229 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hassle

We were in Oludeniz the last two weeks of September this year and I remember remarking to my husband on the first day that we had walked all the way to the beach and back without getting asked once to go on a trip of come in to a shop or restaurant. We got much braver after that an even browsed in the jewelers shop window without someone popping up to ask if they could help. Much better than it used to be.

Mentioned in this post
Oludeniz
Oludeniz
Mugla Province, Turkey