We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Current rate of exchange in Olu

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Current rate of exchange in Olu

What are the rates at the moment for changing sterling

A friend we are going with has been told that they don't want sterling any more as it's not worth anything now. To settle an argument, how true is this ?

We are taking sterling with us anyway, I am sure they have been advised wrongly.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

The current RoE is TL 2.2338 to 1 pound. Given that the euro has fallen further, why wouldn't sterling be acceptable?

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

That is my argument, I think that is bad advice .

Is that is the rate at the moment in resort ? I know it is the published rate today, last year we got a good rate of TL 2.45 for changing sterling which was better than the banks ROE

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,806 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

Yep, bad advice that could have cost you!

Yes the rate 10 days ago and still is around 2.25 ish, as you probably know the rate can fluctuate over the season and in fact over a few months. Two years ago it started the season at 2.2 and went up to 2.5! Always best however to budget for the lowest return then do some champers if it goes up!

yorkshire
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

a pint of effes says its a tour op bureua de change that advised that, they try it on year after year regular Turkey visitors, they tried telling me last year that we would get a better rate if we changed our sterling to euros and then once in turkey change the euros to lira, i told them they was talking rubbish and to get their facts straight, they went rather quiet then.

turkiye
Level Contributor
131 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

Have a look at this thread

tripadvisor.com/…26183442

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

Thank you all for your comments, it was actually someone in a travel agents who told our friends that the Turks don't want to accept Stirling any more !!

There is a lot that the young people in travel agents don't know, I do my research and then go in pick up some brochures and ask about places and usually end up telling them about them, I book online anyway whether I book a package or do my own thing.

North Wales
Level Contributor
195 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

we were there last week and found the jewellers called Infinity the best for exchanging sterling to lira, start of week it was 2.25 and near the end of the week it was 2.23 (if that makes sense!) but better exchange rate than the other jeweller next door.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

Rates been up and down a bit this week, bank rate low of 2.20 on Friday but up to 2.23 today. Usually shops etc exchanging will be 0.02-0.05 less than bank rate.

9. Re: Current rate of exchange in Olu

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:38 am, November 13, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations