We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What currency to take?

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Middlesex
3 posts
Save Topic
What currency to take?

Am off to Olu Deniz on 22 June - just wondering whether to take sterling and change to lire when we get there or take Euro's which are not particulalry good value at present. Are there ATM's in the resort? Help please! Uxbridge Gal.

Warrington, England
Level Contributor
211 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What currency to take?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g312737-i9292-k2…

redditch
Level Contributor
80 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: What currency to take?

take £40 worth of lira with you and take the rest in sterling and change it when you get there

stay away from the euro if i was you

have a nice holiday xx

Ascot
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: What currency to take?

Hi Lisa

There are ATM's in the resort. I used one last year.

I have posted some literature to you yesterday, the mirror advised taking Lire.

Windsor Girl

L38
manchester, uk
Level Contributor
376 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What currency to take?

We took some currency and got the rest out of the bank when needed. I was really surprised when the bill for things came with Lira, Sterling or Euro amounts on it.

I wouldn't take euro but next time I'll be taking a bit of Lira and changing my sterling there.

Also on the bank statement when I got home after drawing Lira out there the exchange rate was far better than the one at the post office before we went.

hertfordshire
Level Contributor
1,849 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What currency to take?

All the shops give prices and take in sterling.Tip the staff etc in sterling pound coins as well .Just a very small amount of lire.

Hebden Bridge...
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What currency to take?

Tipping staff in pound coins is pretty worthless, as they can't use them, or change them for TL as change offices only accept notes.

Imagine working in a restaurant in the UK, and customers leaving your tip in Euros???

Tip them in Lira, it is their currency after all.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
5,164 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What currency to take?

I only had a 50TL note when I was in a pharmacy last October.

They told me just to give a £1 coin as the tablets I was buying were 2TL.

Staffs, England
Level Contributor
319 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What currency to take?

I wouldn't tip in sterling £1 coins either. What they have to do is save up at least £5 then ask a tourist if they wouldn't mind swapping for a sterling note.

I agree with all the others, only take euro if that is your currency at home, otherwise a few liras for first day stuff and tips. You have lots of options open to you - a large group of us ate at Help one night and we even ended up paying the bill in part lira/part sterling (I thought it was well cheeky to even ask but they didn't bat an eyelid)!

Dorset
Level Contributor
127 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What currency to take?

Just got back - we took £100 worth of TL and rest in sterling. Exchange rate currently 2.45 in resort.

Binfield, United...
Level Contributor
497 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What currency to take?

We got back on the 8th june, we took £40 worth of lira and £200 sterling and changed it in the resort for 2.42

Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz