We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dalaman Airport

Northampton, United...
Level Contributor
590 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Dalaman Airport

I have been reading on other sites about the very expensive cost of food at the airport. Do they allow bottles of water through security and into the airport or do I have to pay £4 for a cup of tea!!??

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Dalaman Airport

Just picking up on an earlier comment about staff at the airport "barely speaking English". In case the writer hadn't realised, they speak Turkish in Turkey, not English. If you want to be able to communicate well in a foreign country try learning a bit of their language!

The 'D*mn foreigners can't even speak English properly' really p's me off.

Rosehearty, United...
Level Contributor
10,190 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Dalaman Airport

Well said KeithT

I've lost count of the visits to Dalaman, and I have never had any cause for complaint with the people who work there, and I certainly would not class them as surly.

Staffs, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Dalaman Airport

Okay I take that back, surly was perhaps the wrong word, but certainly not as friendly as when you leave the airport.

So far as food goes - well I can understand the franchsing issue, but the bar is not a franchise as far as I'm aware and their prices (16 lira for a large efes last year) are just as high.

I do think it's worth discussing as these things are not common knowledge to every traveller.

My baggage was somehow 2kg more on return than it was going out, that's after using up half my toiletries and all my suntan lotions (and without buying any gifts or treats). I have often wondered if the scales at Dalaman are entirely correct, though I am very careful myself to be well under allowance anyway. Whilst I also agree regarding individual airlines the check in staff are not employed by the airlines but by the airport (or they were for my XL flight and have been the past few years).

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
24. Re: Dalaman Airport

Sorry, but I cannot understand why you think that the bars aren't part of the franchise set up - just as they are in the UK.

The check-ins are run for all the various airlines by handling companies - just the same as in the UK too, and they are more often than not nothing to do with the airport operators. I don't think that ATM, the airport operators at Dalaman, do any flight handling.

Staffs, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Dalaman Airport

I'm only expressing my own opinion, there is no need to keep jumping on me.

All I know is that I wasn't checked in by a member of XL airways staff, that's all I was saying.

And whilst I can see the point re franchises that only covers the prices if these prices are as high in other countries, which they are not. As we've all said, it's a choice. People continue to use them for whatever reason and because of that the prices will never go down. I put that down to people just having a budget for the holiday and that they are happy to spend any that is left over at the airport regardless of prices.

Gloucester, United...
Level Contributor
4,110 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Dalaman Airport

We didn't have any problems with the mysterious increase in case weight on the way back this time. Maybe the cases put on weight on holiday the same as we do ? :-)

I certainly have seen evidence of the problem on other occasions, not at Dalaman, and fortunately we tend to be a couple of kg light on the way out anyway. Once the toiletries have been dumped prior to the return trip we are still well under weight.

Maybe the Euro Kilo is heavier the the British version.

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
27. Re: Dalaman Airport

I'm sorry if you think I was jumping on you. What I was doing was to explain who's responsible for what - and so who's to blame for what.

The airlines are to blame for the often petty excess baggage charges and the airport operators, along with the franchise holders, are to blame for the food and drink costs.

The people who could really complain are a lot of the workers in the airport, who probably earn about 200 pounds a month, 50 quid a week, but will only be employed for a maximum of 6 months a year (and there's no dole in Turkey).

28. Re: Dalaman Airport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 pm, October 03, 2009