We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

paragliding party pooper.

Which Oludeniz hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
bolton north west...
Level Contributor
41 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
paragliding party pooper.

Sorry to sound like a whimp and a party pooper but can any one out their tell me the truth regarding the general safety record of this sport in the resort of oludeniz.

Having been there and had a go (with one of the well know firms out there listened to the friendly sales pitch, inspected the equiptment - as ive an interest in this- I witnesses two accidents on the landings ,one looked quite serious which was due to the busy promenade.

Anyway , i have been trying to find some official info or stats on the subject and have drawn a blank.

I know this is Turkey and not UK , but has anyone got a leads or a link on this subject?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Level Contributor
2,786 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: paragliding party pooper.

What are you hoping to gain from statistics ?

Kayakoy, Turkey
Destination Expert
for Istanbul
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: paragliding party pooper.

I am a whimp as well, perhaps more than you, I would never give it a try even.

But as I live here, the word goes around very quickly if accidents would occur. Tandem paragliding is very safe, I have watched them so many times landing on the promenade, and more I have talked to people who had the experience to give it a go. So many people fly every day, and the good companies do have a good reputation.

Statistics would prove what?

I guess it is natural to push your limits. People are maybe fed up with the rules and regulations back home and here in Turkey where everything seems a bit more 'loose' nobody seems to care suddenly. I have seen several accidents with quadbikes, serious ones, and still they pass by on a daily basis, still most people without helmets, a kid steering, the father helping a bit.

A woman lost a kidney, and the insurance did not cover this, and in front of my gate a father and son drove very hard backwards onto our wall, the son fell down very badly and hurt himself seriously. Thart is only 2 examples.

Would you see this in the UK? I guess not, but still people like to do the forbidden. Untill it goes wrong, then we like to point out with a finger. It's human's nature I am afraid!

bolton north west...
Level Contributor
41 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: paragliding party pooper.

A very good point indeed, iam only looking into this for my own interest as i work in health and safety back here in uk , and i agree that people love to push the limits espescially english on their summer hols.

The thing is... i have a knowledge of equiptment needed for this type of sport and to be honest was very supprised at the lack of basic safety equiptment and measures put in place.this is with one of the leading companys.One example of this is that a young lady was told adequate footwear would be provided and there wasnt any,resulting in a nasty foot injury on take off.I also noticed some serious damage to a canopy.

Now as ive stated iam not looking to poop the party at all - just for my own interest i was hoping to find out who actually regulates this pass time and who in there right mind(if any one) would insure these fellas?

North West England...
Destination Expert
for Oludeniz
Level Contributor
6,604 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: paragliding party pooper.

Got back yesterday ( 42nd visit.)

There is a big difference betwee tandem paragliding- in which I have never seen an accident -except for this week gone ( Friday ) early afternoon. In which a tandem paraglider came down on electricity cables - apparently no serious injury to pilot or the rider except for a very scary and embarrasing 15 minutes tangled 20ft up in the air waiting to be untangled and rescued. This however ( I have no proof of this except for some witnes accounts ) was caused by a stray solo pilot who managed to almost collide with the tandem pilot. With it being paragling festival people attend from all over the world and new up and coming pilots take chances

and do the jump with maybe too much bravado and THEY are the ones who have the accidents( although they tend to be very minor )

I have done the jump along with up to 50 of my friends and family and also including my 64 year old mother and we have never had the slightest problem. That said you should still use reliable companies of which I can recommend Skysports (I used them ) and now a company called Hector who has pinched all the top pilots including 'Mahonie' and they really do land on a target the size of a dinner plate. I know there will be other opinions on this and different views but I know a lot of the piolts personally and I ask a lot of questions and spend a lot of the year watching as I love the paragliding ( not unlike a train spotter! )

The point is you would probably have a bigger chance of an accident driving around Turkey. Hope you go for it and keep us posted, good luck.

PS.There will always be up to date info on landoflights.com ( or search for it on google.+ babadag.com

Leeds, UK
Level Contributor
110 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: paragliding party pooper.

After watching every year and wanting to experience paragliding I did have a go in 2006 as my ten year old daughter wanted to do it. This year in May my daughter did two flights in one day with no problem. Its the most fantastic experience but of course there is a risk jumping off a mountain and relying on a bit of material to get you safely down!!I have been out there this October and was told stories of three deaths this year but there are these stories every year so it is hard to know if they are true or not.

I have worked with children for years in the UK running Playschemes and usd to take children horseriding, paddling under waterfalls in the Dales- it's become virtually impossible to do most of these things due to Risk Asssessments and fear of being sued if a child has a slip and hurts themselves.

Many people enjoy a bit of risktaking and we'll be paragliding next May - but of course it is wise to go with a reputable company and plan ahead so that you take suitable footwear etc.

6. Re: paragliding party pooper.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 am, September 12, 2009