We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter hire

North East
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scooter hire

Hi all :-)

Going to olu deniz on thursday this week. Just wondering about scooter hire (how much it costs/are they safe etc)

Any advice will be appreciated

Regards

Steve

London
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scooter hire

Hi Steve

I'm going in september and was wondering if you found a scooter to rent?

Thank you

Dario

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
711 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scooter hire

Like everything in Turkey - you barter!! So we did once average a scooter for £8 a day as we had it over a longer period. So the more days you have it you can challenge for a better price.

A word of warning!! They do have helmets but there does not seem to be an enforced law to make you wear them so you may or may not get offered them, we were so used to riding around without them, we became complacent, and then last year got stopped by a policeman, we got away with it because as he lifted the seat there was no helmet there - meaning we had not been supplied with one, and at the same time some Turkish people rode by also without helmets and I pointed them out to him, as his English was not good at all, he couldn't argue but it scared us slightly and now knowing that you should wear them has put us off hiring a scooter again as its not so cool with one on, I know I wouldn't look cool with a bad injury either. Check the brakes too, we once came down the hill from Hisaronu on one brake!!

They do have "cool" beach buggys for hire too up in Hisaronu, I do not recall the cost but I am sure you should check them out. They hire scooters also , you will find them on the right hand side of the road as you go down through Hisaronu at the side of the Moonlight cafe but down in Olu Deniz we hire ours from a guy on the opposite side of the road to the Montebello Beach hotel. Where are you staying?

London
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Scooter hire

Hi Nelly

Thank you so much for the detailed information!!! I'm sure your tips will be useful for me. I'm staying at the Morina Hotel, it's only 2 stars but is the only place I could find for a reasonable price and I really want to go to olu deniz. Had a friend who's been there and told me is an astonishing place and after seeing some pictures I'm now sure of it. Don't know the exact location of the hotel but apparently is 5 minutes walk to town.

Having a scooter it will make a huge difference and could discover lots more places. I'm going the second week of september and hopefully the weather should still be nice.

Thank you again for your time and if you have any other useful tips please let me know :)

Dario

South Wales, New...
Level Contributor
711 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scooter hire

The Morina is the hotel set furthest back in the resort and slightly elevated, a scooter is not necessary but will be a distinct advantage, I have visited the hotel myself in the last few years as the barman Hakki has, like many other turkish people become a dear friend. Since first meeting him 6 years ago his use of the english language has improved 1000%. But his fun character has not dimished at all, he will be great company and entertainment for you as you sit at the bar and watch the sun go down as the view is a good one from there.

Use the scooter to go over to the Ghost town, visit the istanbul restaurant, it has a great pool and Engin the owner is a great host. He will hopefully give you directions to Gemiler Beach if you don't know the way already, what a fantastic trip on the bike, and so well worth it when you get there, though don't get ripped off by the gypsies when you are there. they offer you free sun beds then ask you to go to them for food and drink, when you do, you WILL receive good food but the prices are nearly as bad as Dalaman airport (another subject) We allowed them to charge us the first time because we believed we were in paradise!! We should have been suspicious when they offered us their boat, a simple little one with a motor but not worth £150!! this was 3 years ago, but they too have become friends, they recognised us while we were out fishing last year, he has progressed to a jet ski now, God knows what he is charging for hiring that!!! But do go, just for the view as you approach it.

I may be there myself in September, will let you know nearer the time if I am.

In the meantime I could write about a lot of things but best not too spoil all the surprises that await you.

Won't be long now.

London
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Scooter hire

Hi Nelly

Sorry for the late reply but I had problems with my computer. Thank you so much for your tips and for taking all this time writing to me. I will follow your advices and try not to get ripped off :)

Well if you'll be there at the same time let me know, the least I can do is offering you a drink!!!!

Thank you again for everything.

Dario

6. Re: Scooter hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, September 07, 2009