We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Laptop allowed on flight?

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Laptop allowed on flight?

Hi,

Can you still take a laptop as carry on, on top of my 6kg cabin allowance?

I'm flying on a Thomas Cook flight.

Thanks

6 replies to this topic
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Laptop allowed on flight?

TC you should be fine, just make it is charged up so you can switch it on. The only airline that is still iffy about it atm is BA.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Laptop allowed on flight?

Thanks for that info.

It seems strange they restrict you to 6kg for your carry on bag in economy but then allow the few extra kg laptop weight, per passenger.

Guess it's mainly tablets nowadays that are much lighter, but they I assume must be included in the 6kg?

I still like the screen size of a laptop.

Smart phone of course for carrying around with me, laptop in room.

Edited: 9:00 am, June 12, 2018
Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Laptop allowed on flight?

Sorry! one more cheeky question.

Can you put the fairly heavy laptop charger in the laptop bag too, or do you need to put it in the hold luggage?

Only asking because I'm going for 28 days and packing weight limit is at a premium.

Thanks

Edited: 9:23 am, June 13, 2018
Lincolnshire...
Level Contributor
2,732 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Laptop allowed on flight?

Am not sure about the charger John, if I was a betting man would say in suitcase; however am sure someone else will come back to you.

Aberdeenshire...
Destination Expert
for Fethiye
Level Contributor
18,515 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Laptop allowed on flight?

Laptop and ipads will be part of you 6k allowance. . We took ours in our carry on bags. I would say best to put the charger in your hold luggage. Make sure any electronic equipment is put in the trays at security and make sure they are charged up, you may be asked to switch them on

Sometimes you will not have to weight you hand luggage some Airlines do not both, others do if it goes over the limit you will have to put items in your hold luggage or pay excess charges. Sometimes. £12-16.00 per extra kilo. Have seen this happen and also happened to use once.

Coventry, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Laptop allowed on flight?

On the TC site it states 6kg carry on, plus certain other carry on baggage such as a handbag, also includes a laptop?

Edited: 12:11 pm, June 13, 2018
Reply to: Laptop allowed on flight?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted