We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

being hassled

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
747 posts
131 reviews
Save Topic
being hassled

Have just read in one of the forums that hassling is now not allowed..Is this true?

When we went to turkey 2 years ago we fell in love with it. but we got slightly fed up towards the end of the week as we couldnt even walk towards a restaurant to look at the menu without being hassled. And looking in jewelery shop windows was a no go.

Going again this year so just interested to know if there is any truth in this?

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: being hassled

Hi Guys: here is the link for the recent post about hassles, it has some funny stories about what people encountered in Istanbul and all around Turkey.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g298661-i1330-k818…

Happy Day, LL

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
747 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: being hassled

I think everyone is quite right that it is part of turkish culture. It was really only one occasion that particularly bothered us which was when we went to look in a jewelery shop window with the view to looking at rings. well the owner came out and put such heavy pressure on us that we couldnt even look, we were almost being dragged into the shop by him and another man. It was a shame as if hed given us just a little bit of breathing space he would have made his sale anyway.

Others may not agree but we found that up in hisoranu the pressure was less. I ended up buying bags and purses there as i was actually able to look around the shop for a few minites so that i could find what i liked before we started the bartering process.

Northwich, United...
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: being hassled

my first holiday abroad was 5yrs ago to tunisia,we had no idea how bad the hassle would be.the scam you got caught by was a well known one.in fact our neighbour who is tunisian warned us that we would be approached by men pretending to work at our hotel,offering to take us to various places as a ploy to force us to buy jewelry.we went into port el kantoui,and sure enough it happened but we knew not to go.

my sister and i are going to turkey on 10th may and i was abit worried about the hassle we might get,she has never been abroad before and i have never been without my boyfriend,but if i can cope in tunisia i think we will be fine

widnes england
Level Contributor
159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: being hassled

Try wearing a pin stripe suit and have a briefcase and a small double glazed window sample under your arm, nobody will come near you!!

widnes england
Level Contributor
159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: being hassled

On a serious note, I too have two extremely good friends who now visit me in England via meeting them when they were selling boat trips.

I slap my tummy when walking past a restaurant as if already well fed!

16. Re: being hassled

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 30, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oludeniz
Recent Conversations