We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

snorkeling in olu deniz

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
snorkeling in olu deniz

Has anyone been snorkeling in this area? Is there much to see? We will be there at the end of May, will the water be warm? Is it worth taking our own gear? Are there boat trips for snorkeling? Thinking of staying at the Asena Beach Hotel, is there snorkeling near to the hotel?

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

I tried a bit of snorkelling in Olu last year, not much to see off the beach, just a few small fishes, and the Lagoon was too crowded.

Go on a few boat trips and you will get stops for swimming and you can snorkel too, saw a few fish but nothing spectacular, one guy saw an octopuss. Don't expect a snorkelling hotspot with Turkey, but Olu is stunning and the Turkish coastline is stunning also, and you never know you may get lucky.

I never saw much snorkelling, but I was walking along the harbour at Fethyie and a giant Turtle decided to pop up and was swimming around the boats for a while, brilliant.

Olu is beautiful

have a great time

Jay

UK
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

Some of the boats do have a limited quantity of gear for snorkelling but its far better to take your own. Jay is right about Olu Deniz. The boat trips are best for snorkelling.

The water will be cool.

Sorry don't know the hotel...

Enq

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

rossendalelass,

if you go into Olu Deniz hotel reviews you will find Asena Beach there, it is rated 7 of 47 hotels reviewed by Trip Advisor users, thats pretty good. You will find some pics and tips if you read through all the reviews, you may find one or two negative reviews, I usually don't take too much notice of these, usually petty whinging from hard to please tourists, only time I would go by the negative reviews is if there are many of the same, but being 7 of 47 on TA is a pretty safe bet.

Jay

Lancashire, England
Level Contributor
322 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

Thanks for the info. we've snorkelled in Sharm el Sheikh, Cuba, Phuket , Key West and Jamaica but it sounds as if this part of Turkey may not have as much marine life. Still looking forward to going though. Would you say that b & b is better than all inclusive in Olu Deniz?

widnes england
Level Contributor
159 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

Asena Beach hotel is a superb choice, stayed there over 8 years x 2 a year with wife & 3 kids then bought my own place near, up the mountain, but still miss it.

You can book your snorkeling trips with numerous companies around the resort, more expensive via hotel itself.

The scenery should be enough to keep you happy.

You should also consider paragliding, bit warmer but not many fish up there!!

regards

Mark

row
wales
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

The Asena beach is a short walk from the Belcekiz / Olu Deniz seafront. Like a lot of places in Turkey, it is fabulous. The lagoon itself is a lovely place to swim, laze, etc and you can snorkel in there. I have seen a turtle there on more than 1 occasion. However ther isn't much to see in the sea generally.The scenery, food and people are great but as for the snorkelling, I wouldn't bother tasking too much gear. DO go on a boat trip, either from Olu Deniz or a better one - 12 islands trip - from Fethiye harbour as its a WONDERFUL and cheap day out. You can also go out on the dive boats from the harbour but like I said, there's not a lot to see.

Have a great holiday, but don't go all the way to Olu Deniz without visiting the town - FETHIYE. It's magical. Enjoy!

row
wales
Level Contributor
30 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

B + B is DEFINITELY a better choice in Turkey than AI. There are plenty of restaurants in Olu Deniz, up the hillin Hisaronu and certainly in Fethiye town.

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
1,198 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

hi rossendalelass,

I've snorkelled in Sharm el Sheikh and Jamaica also, once you've been to places like sharm its always going to be hard to better.

Most of the places you mention have good coral reefs, and the marine life is always in abundence on reefs.

I don't think there are any reefs around Turkey, might be wrong though. The marine life is still there, just does'nt congregate all in one place as on reefs.

When the boats pull in for swim stops you can snorkel around the rocky coasts where you will see some marine life, just don't expect the Red Sea or the Carrabean.

Of all the coastlines though I personally think that Turkey has the most stunning, and always so much to see.

south east england
Level Contributor
303 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

Hello ive been snorkelling around here many times been end may/june and the water was nice especially the lagoon area where it is as still as a lake, the boat trips from olu deniz beach especially at aquarium bay are best for snorkelling take your own snorkel and on the islands tours you will stop at a cave hot n cold springs and a couple of beaches. There isnt an abundance of marine life but i saw some pretty fish and squid and the water is lovely and clear, Asena beach is really nice close to the beach and has a nice restaurant, the boat trips go from the main beach which is stony and shingly so for sunbathing walk up the road a bit to either the lagoon where you pay or about 2 minutes further where there are sandy private beaches but it is still the lagoon! nice cafe/restaurant and toilets available and nice and peaceful, saw a turtle you can hire pedaloes etc if you want. We went on Hazer 2 boat for our islands trip which was excellent and value for money clean and friendly nice food, book from the beach with the owner or one of the beach boys, the other boats seem nice too but the tour ops at the hotel rip you off and charge much more than the real price. You can also hire speedboats quite reasonably for better snorkelling.

NY, NY/Istanbul...
Level Contributor
4,852 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: snorkeling in olu deniz

Hi Guys: having gone snorkeling in Sharm too I have to say that there is not a lot to see in coastal Turkey except a few rather small fish as has been mentioned. But you could see turtles and my daughter caught an octopus with her bare hands which ultimately became lunch.

Definitely do the boat trip from Fethiye. Lovely marina with lots of boats going out. The scenery as Jay says will knock you socks off. So you don't have to go underwater to enjoy yourself.

Do try paragliding, even at my advanced age I loved it. Lots of companies around but make sure a certification is displayed. Happy Travel, LL