We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

London, United...
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

I am about to write my first review and want to get it as right as possible (don't want to end up like poor old shipwreak - LOL)

but I can't remember if I should say "laid on the sunbed" or "layed on the sunbed". which is it laid or layed. I will now say red backwards very slowly. Thanks

Aberdeen, United...
Level Contributor
373 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

If it was my review it would be collapsed on sunbed - and can't wait to do so!!!!

Gocek, Turkey
Level Contributor
3,307 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

It's "laid".

Given the degrees of illiteracy that you can see on here, I wouldn't worry too much about it :-)

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

Hi

(copied this off of an English Grammar website)

The verb you're looking for is lie (lay, lain).

present: I usually lie in bed waiting for...

past simple: [Yesterday] I lay in bed waiting for ...

past progressive: I was lying in bed waiting for ... when ...

The verb lay (laid, laid) is transitive, so you need an object; for instance, you could say (in the past), "I laid the baby on the bed."

As far as I know, "layed" is not a word.

So to sum up it should read I LAID on a sunbed, however I think collapsed, stretched out, chilled out etc would sound like heaven too :-)

Oklahoma
Level Contributor
435 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

You lay on the sunbed, therefore you laid your body on the sunbed.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnd welcome to the forum ;O)

Great replies above, I wouldn't worry too much, the main reason 'Shipwreak' was criticised was content rather than spelling, which was just the last straw so to speak.

I am shocking at making spelling mistakes and grammar as my mind works faster than my fingers can type, I also have a fondness for capitalising favourite words????

Anyway, we look forward to your review, which hotel did you stay at?

Cheers Jazz

P.S. you can always type you review in word and copy across then it spell checks for you ;O)

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

Jazz...do you have a fondness for question marks too :-)

What are your favourite words that you like to capitalise..I'm intrigued now, but am presuming they include the words, Voyage, Belek & Holiday

I know...I'm being cheeky :-)

Sharon x

Suffolk
Level Contributor
954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

Oh yes, question marks, excaimation marks and I am loving putting 'these' on all sorts of words ;O)

Capitals are normally on things like Fantastic, Awesome, Deluxe etc, anything I would emphasise when I talk get a capital letter, oh and I try to do it on anything begining with a J but that is just as both my initials are J.

Ha ha think I NEED a holiday!

JJ :O)

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

haha...I think the holiday excitement bug is turning us all mad :-)

We will all end up being sectioned if we aren't careful!! :-)

The sooner April comes for us the better. I need some sun!

I'm not laying next to Bugalug in a bikini though...haha. I can't believe I am actually going to the gym tonight after around 6 months or so off! I'm actually quite nervous. It's the walking in bit I don't like :-)

..............Oh and the actual "doing it" bit..I don't like that much either. If I look like Bugalug in a bikini at the end of it I will be VERY happy.

I'm just getting her back for teasing me with her Feb holiday dates. She even sent me her luggage labels and I was seething with envy...haha

Hope she doesn't read this thread...I'm in a cheeky mood :-)

Sharon x

Edited: 12:15 pm, February 02, 2011
Suffolk
Level Contributor
954 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

Well good luck for tonight - good on you!

I am afraid I am a bit past caring so staying a bikini free zone, I do have a couple of great swim suits though - I even have a strapless one to minimise tan lines! and I do love my sun dresses!

You are so right, April can't come soon enough - I did wonder if we were going to 'burn out' with all the excitement. I will really need the holiday by then!

Well you must be heading off soon, the other half is just cooking dinner so I will think of you ;O) Cheeky moods are contagious!

Surrey
Level Contributor
1,686 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with Grammar - is it laid or layed on the sunbed?

Haha..have you got an OH that cooks too?

Mine does all the cooking and loves it. I hate cooking and am rubbish at it.

I absolutely LOVE knee length sundresses - they suit my height & shape and are comfy. I will just carry my baby with me to the bar and she can cover up my tummy...not sure what to do about my bottom though! Perhaps I can get the other 3 kids to walk closely behind me!

My OH should be home very soon. I've got my gym kit on ready to go, although I am trying to think of every excuse under the sun NOT to go. Bugalug said to not think about it and just walk out the door so that's what I'm going to do.

Strapless swimsuits are all the fashion this summer. Next have some nice ones. I like wearing them with a skirt too.

Used a few capital letters just to make you feel at home :-)

Have a good evening!

Sharon x