We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just returned from Belek

Which Belek hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Just returned from Belek

Just got back froma week at the Maritim Pine Beach Hotel, fantastic standard of hotel but just want to warn the British to avoid Belek if possible it is totally dominated by Russians and was told this is the "Russians Tenerife" all hotels seem to have the same issues regarding rude guests and reserving sun beds from 6.00 am in the morning and not using them all day and greed in the restaurants is something you don't want to experience on your holidays. There were very few staff who spoke English only Russian and definitely gave them priority at bars etc. It is a man made area cut out of a forest so does not have any Turkish character at all.

Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just returned from Belek

I guess it depends what you want from your holiday. I agree the greed and waste from the Russians in particular is astounding, personally, i couldn't care less about the sunbeds, just took my own lilos and did our own thing. Interestingly, the Russians etc would queue at the bar but nowhere else and the brits queue everywhere else except the bar! That is all part of travelling abroad, you experirnce the different ways from people from other cultures. I couldn't think of anything worse than being surrounded by people from the UK when I have travelled abroad, but I know that others feel differently and it is part of their holiday to "meet other people". I go on holiday essentially to spend time with my family not make friends with random strangers (I'm probably anti-social!!)Probably the worst examples of rudeness I saw were from a group of Londoners who thought that becasue they were "cheeky chappies", it was okay to make a fuss at the bar about wanting larger measures and to put their feet up on the furniture. Another by a fellow Scot who was insisting on wanting a huge Turkey leg put on his plate at the grill area, most of the others were by Russian kids.

I would estimate that our hotel (grida Village) was 50% Russian, 30% German and the rest others, quite a lot of french towards the end of the holiday.

In the end I guess it is "horses for courses"

scotland
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just returned from Belek

We go to Belek 2/3 times a year every year and dont see any reason to advise Brits to stay away from the place just because there are many Russians there. If you read some of the comments on this and other holiday sites you will find that out before you go .Just because we are British does not give us any special rights over anyone else .If they get up at 6am then you get up at 5am ,as for greed then that is a personal thing they are paying for what they get and no matter what theyu take there will always be plenty for everyone .As for them getting better treatment than us i have never seen it . When we stand in a queu to be served we stand from left to right and other countries who drive on the left stand from right to left ,so when the come up to a bar the go to the left which they think is the end ,all you have to do is point that out to them and problem solved ..I have met plenty good Russian ,German and other nationalities in Belek and i have also seen many horrible cheeky arogant Brits .If in this country some Russian or German was talking about you like that then it would be c;assed as racism ,people slag of other nations on this and other holiday sites all the time and it is wrong .Just get on with your own holiday and never mind what others are doing.

Derbyshire, United...
Level Contributor
15,208 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just returned from Belek

Hi Noodlesec

I am sorry you felt disappointed with Belek but maybe more research before booking would have told you this was not the resort for you!

No surprise if I do defend the Belek area and the Turkish staff here!

It is horses for courses and no one claims Belek is typically Turkish and the most scenic area.

I have made the comment on the forums before about asking the Questions before booking not after!

Belek does have superb hotels that cater for all Nationalities.

Not stayed at the Maritim, and not meaning to sound rude or a snob which I can assure you I am not, but it is the budget end of the AI hotels in Belek.Maybe the higher end hotels get the wealthy Russians who behave better. I have been to the 4 star hotels in the past where they did fill plates to the brim!

We stayed at the Susesi last July and the Cornelia last April and never experienced any staff treating us differently because we were British, infact just the opposite. They do actually prefer the brits from my experience because we are politie and use our manners! A kind word goes along way!

Not speaking or understanding English in the hotels again not a problem that we have found in Belek or hotels anywhere in the Antalya region or Turkey has a whole!! Yes you have to explain sometimes what you want twice maybe but hardly an holiday spoiler and part of the fun sometimes! If you travel anywhere you have to expect that they may not understand you, I cannot understand why this is an issue, but many comments are made about this!

The Russian are a challenge because they behave differently but on the whole we hardly notice them, I do get annoyed if I see them being Rude to the staff though! Yes the greed is another issue but if the hotels accept booking from them and frankly they will because they spend alot of money at the hotels, so be it! I find groups of loud drunken brits offensive and avoid hotels where I might come in to contact with them, We love a drink on holiday but want a relaxed atmosphere and luxurious surroundings!

You can certainly warn people about Belek and some people will be glad you did,

The majority of people go for the Luxury of the hotels and not the surrounding areas! Alot go for the Golf so all the hotels are full.

We go at Easter every year and there are just mainly Germans ,Dutch and English at this time of year! Over winter mainly German guests who have stayed in the hotels for 2or 3 months at a time so when we arrive we are greeted in German!! The staff revert to English again once they know where you are from. They love to chat to improve their English so I find it strange about them not speaking any English!

The maid only usually speak room relevent English, but if say we want an extra toilet roll we just catch the maid on the corridor and take a roll or Shampoo, towel or whatever we need to show her! They then go out of their way to provide what you need.

Finally for all those yet to go to Belek ,the beach is nice the hotels are for the most part superb and the staff will try their best for you! If you want some Culture then Belek is close to places of interest but is a man made resort so nothing in the immediate vacinity . Belek does attract families , golfers and many nationalities.There are however resorts in Turkey that do cater mainly for the British to! I hear the Russians avoid those!!!

Edited: 7:13 am, July 15, 2010
lancashire
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just returned from Belek

I agree with most of what Toady and Peter says, and we like a lot of forumites have holidayed in Belek and other regions of Antalya many many times, and have encountered some amazing people from all walks of life.

The Russian guests, do seem to have taken over from the Germans with the brunt of remarks by Brits being typically British.......say nothing whilst there, then moan about everything later! Ok, so they can come across as arrogant and rude, and yes they do not queue for anything, but that is how they are, their mind set is completely different, there attitude is:- "we have paid for this holiday, an we are having it" the British queue and say very little if the service they receive is below par, or,what they deem to be a different class of service by comparison. How will any of the staff know if we are dissatisfied unless we open our mouths? If something like being served last and you were first in the queue, then Speak up, all it takes is dialogue, ok, we may not speak the same language, but a smile and a sharp "no" usually does the trick, and we have really never encountered anything too bad from any one on any holiday.

Tolerance is needed at all hotels, and of course I have stood back, with my jaw touching the floor with the amount of food on some plates, but, not my business, and as long as we are happy with our food/drink/room/sunbed I really couldn't care less what anyone else is doing. As long as people respect other peoples space then, party on..................

Of course you will always get the schmucks, the hobbledy hoys, whose arrogance is sometimes hard to take, the banging of glasses on bars to attract attention and the shouting to waiters with the typical "Oy" but, these people are so laughable, and if you make a point of showing you are so different to them, by saying "please" and "Thankyou" and by not slamming your glass on the bar, the evidence speaks for itself, you have shown them there is another way to attract attention, hey voila politeness costs nothing.

There are rat bags, morons, loud mouths and people you want to punch out at every hotel, but, not just one nationality, we each of us, from whatever country we come from, should close our eyes in embarassment at some of our compadres' antics, but, the joy of a holiday is, the knowledge we aren't living next door to them, we may never bump into them again, and for the best part, most of them are lovely people, who just want to have a break in the sun enjoying things in their own way.

Belek may not be the most scenic of resorts, but it sure does have some amazing hotels, and noone would ever stop me from spending a holiday there, no matter where they come from.

Happy Holidays everyone, and enjoy

DLV

Edited: 7:30 am, July 15, 2010
Littleborough
Level Contributor
23 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just returned from Belek

Just got to say, we are booked in to the Cornelia Deluxe for 2 weeks on 16th August and this post has done nothing to put me off. We have never been to Turkey before but predominately picked this hotel for the luxury and to just chill. I might think differently when I return but a few rude, arrogant Russians aren't going to put stop me having a great holiday. I agree with the others, I have been to the Greek Islands many times and can't tell you how often I have been embarrassed by loutish, loud, arrogant brits.......so as far as I am concerned, there is room for everyone.

Edited: 8:51 am, July 15, 2010
lancashire
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just returned from Belek

Fabulous hotel lacy, you will have the best time.

Take care

DLV

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
54 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just returned from Belek

Hi all,

I think everyone has there own personal opinion. I am going with my girfriend next friday to the " Calista Resort ", also have read lots of posts about being alot of russians. To me its all live and let live, everyone is different. The hotel that we are going to looks very nice and i am sure we will enjoy it to the max. I remember going to Margarita which had 80 british in and another 800 from other places. Hotel was fine and had a great time.

Morocco was another place with very few british - well in the 5 star hotels anyway, did not matter had a great time

Regarding the comment about towels being put down at 6am, well i am on my holiday and bugger that if i get out of bed before 9am............. I will find somewhere to sun bath

I enjoy my luxury, the hotel we are booked in looks fantastic and i am sure we will have a great time.............

Thanks

dave

Edited: 6:00 pm, July 15, 2010
scotland
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just returned from Belek

I am quite sure you will have a good holiday Dave as this is a nice hotel .What people dont realise is that Belek is one of the shortest flights Russians have to Turkey and they take advantage of that ,just look to yourself and whoever is with you and to blazes with the rest .In most of the really good hotels in Belek the beds are taken in at night and they are not out at 6am.

Peter

Edited: 6:50 pm, July 15, 2010
Level Contributor
2,307 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just returned from Belek

Just read a few other negative reviews of the more up market hotels in Belek and I am delighted I stayed at a cheaper hotel and only paid half the cost others did to experience the same problems. However I am also pleased that other Brits enjoy spending their holidays amongst very rude arrogant nationalities and maybe some of you might change your mind having spent time fighting for your evening meals, seeking a sun bed, and trying to make yourself understood. The whole point of this forum is to provide honest reviews and experiences and unless you do this other travellers will not benefit. I would return time and time again to Belek and the first class hotels if it wasnt for the clientele

scotland
Level Contributor
2,347 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just returned from Belek

Hi noodlesetc,as you quite rightly say the point of this forum is to offer advice ,both positive and negative ,which you did ,but i think what annoyed some of us is the fact that you actually told people to avoid and stay away from Belek. .There are many good holiday makers there and i agree that there are some not so good i tend to just ignore these kind of people so they do not bother me ,but i love Belek as a holiday destination and i will continue to go there no matter what .

Kind regards

Peter