We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visit the Convent of Christ

Which Tomar hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
Save Topic
Visit the Convent of Christ

UNESCO has classified this unique monument as a World Heritage site.

It is a symbol of both Western history and the history of Portugal.

Walking through the ancient streets of Tomar or the leafy park by the river, the Templars’ Castle always remains in sight.

Gualdim Pais, Master of the Order of the Temple in Portugal, chose the hill on which to build the fortress in 1160. It was around this time that work began on the Charola or Rotunda (octagonal church,) modelled on the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem. The convent buildings grew up around it when the Order of the Temple was transferred to the Order of the Knights of Christ, which took over all its property. At the same point in history, Prince Henry the Navigator was to lead the Portuguese nation to the maritime Discoveries, taking the Templar Cross to the seven corners of the world.

In the reign of King Manuel I, a new series of art inspired by the sea was created at the monument. The Templars’ Church is decorated with paintings and sculptures of exceptional quality. The west façade of the chapter house contains an amazing window, depicting waves, ropes, fantastic animals, angels, kings, armillary spheres and the Cross of the Order of Christ, all carved in stone.

Take your time to look around this grand convent and discover its fascinating history.

Useful Information:

Convento de Cristo

Igreja do Castelo Templário

2300-000 Tomar

Video of Convent of Christ: http://www.conventocristo.pt/video

Visiting hours:

- October to May: From 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (last entry at 5 p.m.)

- June to September: From 9 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (last entry at 6 p.m.)

Recommended circuit: Henry the Navigator cloisters (Cemetery and Laundry), church, main cloister, Santa Bárbara cloister, Hostelry cloister and Micha cloister.

Exit: 5:30 p.m.

It closes on 1 January, Easter Sunday, 1 May and 25 December.

How to get there:

A1 Lisboa/Porto Motorway – Torres Novas exit; A23 motorway – Tomar exit – IC3 or EN 110 (main road)

Main Road – EN13 from Leiria; EN 110 from Coimbra.

The Tomar Tourist Train includes the Convent of Christ in its route.

Minneapolis
Level Contributor
95 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visit the Convent of Christ

Excellent!! Can't wait to see it. Do you know anything about the Church of Santa Maria do Olival, Nossa Senhora da Conceicao, the church and convent of St. Ira as far as hours of operation or admission costs go? How about the Theatre Paraiso? Is it open during the day?

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,134 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visit the Convent of Christ

Igreja de Santa Maria do Olival

Open 10.00 – 17.00, closed Thursday

Capela de Nª Srª da Conceição

Summer: 11H00-12H00 and 16H00-17H00; Rest of the year only from 11H00 to 12H00

Igreja e Convento de Santa Iria

Open: 10h-13h/15h-19h Closed: Sunday/Monday

Teatro Paraiso, I don't think they are open during the day. If you like, you could send them an email: cineteatro@cm-tomar.pt

I don't know about admission costs.

Consider adding the Synagoge. It's from the XV century and worth visiting.

Edited: 2:00 pm, September 24, 2013
Lagos, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lagos
Level Contributor
4,837 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visit the Convent of Christ

I can highly recommend a visit to Tomar.

I was there in August for a few days R&R from the Algarve summer holiday maelstrom.

Unfortunately, I was unable to tour the Convent because of my recovering paw.

However, this town is a little historic gem and situated only 40km from Fatima.

The above quote from visitportugal.pt omits to say that there is an excellent train service from Lisbon Stª. Apolonia and Lisbon Gare Oriente to Tomar. There are approximately 20 trains per day and transit time is about +- 1hr 45 mins.

4. Re: Visit the Convent of Christ

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:15 am, November 23, 2014