We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tomar - a must!!

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Tomar - a must!!

Have just spent the last 36 hrs here, and what a spectacular place!! It is a beautiful little town with so much to offer, mostly the majestic castle with the Convent. Mindblowing!! I took 266 pics today, and mostly at the 16th C convent - gulp, it is spectacular.

Easy walking distance from town, though a bit uphill, but well worth it,. I arrived hereon a Sunday so free, lucky me!!

Rest of Tomar is a pleasure, with an historic old centre, you could walk around for ages. Bful lunch by the river, this is the life!!

I stayed at the Estralagem in town, on an Island surrounded by a Park, beautiful!! walkable from the bus/train station.

Will be sad to leave here tomorrow.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,179 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tomar - a must!!

Hope you didn't miss the synagogue, it's the best preserved medieval one in Portugal and dates back to the 15th century. Often missed by tourists.

Edited: 2:14 pm, November 06, 2011
Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Providenciales, Turks and Caicos
Level Contributor
12,157 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tomar - a must!!

Although the convent is open on mondays, the synagogue is closed. And that was the day we were there unfortunately. The entire old town looked very sleepy. But agree, Tomar is pretty cool

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tomar - a must!!

certainly did see the synagogue ... oldest in Porugal, i think it said. Very small but with some lovely treasures inside. : )

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tomar - a must!!

what do you think about going to Tomar from Coimbra, 1 day is enough? by train/bus? thanks Delia

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tomar - a must!!

Do you know if it is more convenient to go to Tomar from Coimbra/Lisbon by train/bus thanks

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
20,546 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tomar - a must!!

From Coimbra to Tomar by train it can take around 2h or 4h depends which regional train you take and you always have to do a change.

From Lisboa to Tomar by train it's about 1h30m or 2h, and it's direct and frequent. From Lisboa by bus it's 1h45, but only 4 bus/day.

Go from Lisboa and do it by train.

Buenos Aires...
Level Contributor
70 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tomar - a must!!

thanks a lot

dallas texas
Level Contributor
134 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tomar - a must!!

I noticed that you stayed at estalagem Santa Iria. How were the rooms? I have read mixed reviews, but this has always been my first choice when reading the guide books. We really like smaller properties. I couldn't tell if it was air condition or if that will matter in the summer months. We will have a car and it does appear to have parking, which is a plus. We will only be there 2 nightsd , but it looks like it is very close to anything we might want to see in Tomar.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
144 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tomar - a must!!

It was a great place to stay, very central and rooms were good with little balconies. Cant remember re aircon as was there there in November. Good place to if you have a car, no doubt.

North Vancouver...
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tomar - a must!!

Hello:

I am on a cruise ship arriving in Lisbon on Fri Apr 5th at 12 noon. I intend to take train to Tomar. I am 70 yrs old so maybe walking to the castle will be too difficult for me is there a bus or should I take a taxi?

Is there a bus to the aqueduct? I would love to see just about sunset. My ship doesn't leave until 23:00 so I will have time.

Thanks for the info

Carole

Get answers to your questions about Tomar