We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single girl travelling to Burgau

Yorkshire
3 posts
Save Topic
Single girl travelling to Burgau

Hi. I've booked a short break to Burgau in June. This is my first trip aboard alone and I am naturally a little apprehensive. Any hints and tips for friendly places to eat, drink and visit would be very much appreciated. Thanks.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single girl travelling to Burgau

Burgau is a rather small village but is friendly, like most places in the Algarve - make sure you attempt a few words of Portuguese and the majority of people will be lovely :-)

If you want to meet people, I would suggest going into Lagos. Luz is nearer, and worth a wander round, but has an older more family / golfy kind of vibe. If you have a car you could also go the other way to Sagres.

Finally, if you like walking, the clifftop walks between Burgau, Luz and Lagos are fab.

Have fun

B

www.movingtoportugal.org

Yorkshire
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Single girl travelling to Burgau

Thanks B. I have heard that the clifftop walks are excellent and this is something I would like to do - but I'm a little worried about how safe I will be as a lone female. Also do you know whether I can get get maps/guides once I get out there? Thanks in advance for your help.

Tavira, Portugal
Level Contributor
455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single girl travelling to Burgau

I think the walks should be fine - there will be plenty of other people up there in June within shouting distance. I just asked my wife and she said she would be more concerned about being alone and tripping and hurting your ankle or something. So perhaps make sure you have a mobile phone and that the people at your hotel know where you have gone!

There are plenty of tourist style maps lying around everywhere in the Algarve.

Feel free to ask any other questions!

Best wishes

Ben

www.movingtoportugal.org

Edited: 10:16 am, February 02, 2010
Estoril, Portugal
Level Contributor
71 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single girl travelling to Burgau

Portuguese people, are very kind, and do behave themselves. Provided that you behave yourselves, you may even find Portuguese guys more respectful and courteous than their British counterparts, who, by the way, are numerous in Algarve.

In any case, use common sense, as you would do in UK. Normally, any situation that would not put you in trouble in UK, will not put you in trouble in Portugal.

You can buy local maps in any local bookshop. For guides in English, you'd better look in UK.

Yorkshire
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Single girl travelling to Burgau

Thanks both of you for your advice :)

6. Re: Single girl travelling to Burgau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, August 03, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Burgau