We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Which Candidasa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maroochydore...
10 posts
Save Topic
Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Hi all,

I am staying at Bali Palms Resort soon, for one week. During my time there the three things I'd love to do include visiting the Monkey Forest, visiting the White Sandy Beach & getting in some nice snorkelling.

Any suggestions of tour companies, drivers, or ways to get to these places would be appreciated.

Not too keen on hiring a scooter, as only my partner has her license & I don't fancy operating any kind of machinery.. ;)

Thank you!

Edited: 12:03 am, August 21, 2011
Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

You can hire a driver to take you to the places you want to visit. I can give you the name of ours, or you could enquire at your hotel's reception or just grab a guy off the street.

The monkey forest closest to you in CD, would most likely be Ubud (around an hour's drive away), though there are monkeys to be seen not far north of CD, where they gather near a small temple and some roadside food outlets.

There's good snorkelling to be done just across from where you are staying, around some small islands or even just off he beach. Also you could go down to Bloo Lagoon in PadangBai (around 20 minutes) or drive through to Amed, again around an hour away by road. Wonderful snorkelling up there and also some WW2 wrecks. The inland drive to Amed is great and you can visit Tirtangganga water palace along the way, also visit the town of Amlaphura and its markets (if that's of interest) and pass by some wonderful terraced rice fields as well.

I would recommend you drive back along the coast road to CD....a very picturesque, winding road which gives you great glimpses of sheltered beaches with many jakungs (local sail boats) lined up along the shore...also some great, almost private bays to stop at and swim and snorkel.

Have fun.

Edited: 12:32 am, August 21, 2011
Maroochydore...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

You are a wealth of information, thank you.

Sydney, Australia
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Is it easy to hire snorkelling gear, or should I bring my own mask and snorkel?

Thanks.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Personally, I prefer to use my own mask and snorkel and hire flippers if needed, but all can be hired.

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
464 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Hi Sophie~

We always go to Divers Cafe in Amed. Nice place on the beach with great low priced food.

They have rental gear available at the on site dive shop.

The diving right off the beach there is excellent!

Enjoy your visit to CD and stop by our place across from Lotus Seaview restaurant and say "HI!"

Aloha, Beach Bum Bill & Marcia

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

I am scuba diving while staying in CD. Would you recommend any good operators who do diving in small groups but have a good safety record?

Also, is it best to just go owth one company from the Bali Palms, or is it just as easy and safe to get a driver and stop in at various dive operations.

Lastly, shore diving or boats for Amed, Tulamben, etc... And is it worth visitong Lombok by ferry?

Bali, Indonesia
Level Contributor
464 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Hello Professor~

Diving here is incredible.... much better than North Carolina!! :o)

The water is 82F everyday and viz is around 50-60 feet.

Both beach and boat at Tulamben for the wreck and the wall.

Amed is boat only, unless you fancy a LONG surface swim to the wall.

SLOW ferry to Lombok is about 6+ hrs (all day) each way, so quite a trip.

There are faster ways to get there, but you need 2-3 days to make the trip worth while and it costs a bit......

There are a couple of good dive shops in CD....

Bali Palms is new and they share the dive shop with Bali Shangri La Beach Club, but have not heard much about them.

We like Gangga Divers at Lotus Bungalows, about 300 meters from Bali Palms.

Probably the most professional group in town, excellent safety record, but costs a bit more.

They can fit you in with other divers for a grand time.

When Ya'll comin' and do you need any dive buddies while you are here?

We are from Colorado and have lived in CD for the last 4 years.

Need any help gettin' transport set up from airport to CD?

If you can drive a motor cycle there, bring your International Drivers License and rent a 125cc scooter for $5.50 US (50,000 Rupiah) a day! Best way to see this part of Bali!!

Please let me know how to help Ya'~~~

Aloha, Beach Bum Bill

Greensboro, North...
Level Contributor
19 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Hey, fellow traveler! I am also going to be staying at Bali Palms Resort. Do you remember which rooms or which wing as the best views, and beach access? Also, how is the beach for swimming, snorkeling, or even a quick shore dive?

Did you use the Shangri-la dive shop? If so, how many divers do they take on each boat (approximately... as in, are they crowded...?)

Lastly, any recommendations for good places one can walk to eat, or is it better to take a cab or scooter to try different eats at Candi Dasa?

Many thanks!!! Dr. Jeanette

Any more thoughts of Bali Palms would be MOST appreciated.

Lombok, Indonesia
Level Contributor
268 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

For Lombok part:

Depends on the location you want, or the activity you want to do.

Kuta Lombok has good beach. Better to get there with flight. It is only 20 minutes from the airport.

Senggigi or three Gilis (Gili Trawangan / Gili Meno / GIli Air) are located in northside. Better to get there with fast boat.

Sekotong / Gili Nanggu are located in southern. Flight / fast boat is good. Slow ferry is fine too.

The cheapest is slow ferry.

Eaton, Australia
Destination Expert
for Broome, Bunbury
Level Contributor
21,020 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting 2 Monkey Forest/White Sandy Beach/Snorkelling frm CD

Hello again PH, Unfortunately there's very little, to no beach in Candidasa. You can still swim and snorkel, but it's better to do so when the tide is low.

There's some great spots to snorkel around the small islands just off the coast in CD - you can get a local boatman to take you there - arrange either through your reception or by speaking with a local you come across along the shoreline.

Also look to travel down to Bloo Lsgoon (either by road 20 minutes or in a local outrigger boat) - a nice beach with good snorkelling.

A trip to the white sandy beach, north of CD is also a great way to spend a few hours, or the day - nice beach, some great little beach eateries and good snorkelling. Again, you can travel by road or boat and it's also around 20 minutes by road from CD.

I answered on another of your posts in regard to places to eat. Most are in easy walking distance, or you can use the shuttle bus which operates from Palms during the day. You could also hire a scooter, but do make sure you have all the appropriate licenses/paperwork to do so and most especially have insurance to cover any misadventures...hopefully there'll be none of those.

Get answers to your questions about Candidasa