We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Candidasa or Amad?

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
106 posts
21 reviews
26 helpful votes
Candidasa or Amad?

I’m curious as which of these you would recommend. Travelling with a three year old, looking for a relaxed beach holiday but also close to some restaurants.

11 replies to this topic
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
16,791 posts
97 reviews
63 helpful votes
1. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

Hi Samdex,

Candidasa is a stretched out town. Number of seafront properties. No real beach any more. Some of the seafront properites have a patch of sand in front of their sea wall which mostly disappearscat high tide.

If tou like having a large choice of larger reosrt accommodation and plenty of places to eat/drink then Candidasa is for you.

Amed is my personal favourite place in Bali. It is popular for diving/snorkeling and chillaxing. Amed covers 10km of coastline. Wider Amed up to 18km of coat.

Basically Amed is a string of small village areas strung out along the coast.

Jemeluk bay and Lipah Beach popular areas to stay. Lipah beach sandier but Jemeluk longer (2km) generally flat and has the biggest choice of accommodation/places to eat/drink.

As an example we stay at www.kembalibeachbungalow.nl

Have a drink at the neighbouring www.barracudabali.com/bar

Fall in the water snorkeling

Lots of places to eat. Personal favourite is Warung Enak. Does excellent local food as well as good pizzas.

australia
Level Contributor
4,032 posts
1 review
2. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

Hi Samdex, I realise you must have chosen Amed or Candi Dasa for some personal reason. Would you consider Sanur. It’s a quieter option opposed to the west coast. There’s a lovely beachfront boardwalk with cafes and restaurants, markets. Along the main road, Jalan Danau Tamblingan, there are restaurants, cafes, bakeries, supermarket, shops. The beach is safe for your toddler to experience his/her toes in the water. There are some great dining options in Sanur with cuisine and prices for all. There’s a night food market which is popular. Metered Bluebird taxis are plentiful and economical to get around locally. Choose either beachfront or along the main road for accommodation; not near the bypass road.

Recently a TA member stayed at the Rama Candidasa Resort with a 6 y.o. and recommended. As mentioned Candi doesn’t really have a beach anymore but the Rama had made their only little “beach” on the property. Don’t know how long your going for but perhaps you may have the time to stay two areas in Bali.

Whatever you decide, enjoy Bali.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
65 reviews
30 helpful votes
3. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

We have chosen to do 3 nights at each, we are a family of 3.

We are staying at the Amed Lodge, and in Candidasa Ganesh Lodge, they both look stunning with great reviews. Both were about $100 per night with brekky.

Level Contributor
66 posts
1 review
3 helpful votes
4. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

Virgin beach near Candidasa is one of my favourite beaches in Bali, even in the wet season I never saw any trash there

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
16,791 posts
97 reviews
63 helpful votes
5. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

Amed Lodge is in a good location in Jemeluk. Not far from where we stay. Next door on the beach is Warung Celagi. Nice for lunch

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
936 posts
14 reviews
14 helpful votes
6. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

Hi Kath P ,Did you book direct with Ganesh Lodge or a booking site.

Tamworth, Australia
Level Contributor
879 posts
65 reviews
30 helpful votes
7. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

Yes I booked direct

ganeshbalicandidasa@gmail.com

Scotland, United...
Level Contributor
514 posts
53 reviews
18 helpful votes
8. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

My profile photo is of the bungalow at the Rishi Hotel Candidasa and my wife wanted to stay in this bungalow by the pool forever. There's plenty of amenities stretched out the sea front areas for miles.

Kvisvik, Norway
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
9. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

I also considered both, but ended of with Amed. I havent booked yet, but the two hotels I am looking at is the Kembali beach bungalows at the Jemeluk beach and Griya Villas and Spa at Lipah beach.

Which area of the Jemeluk and Lipah is the best? Both for snorkeling and for restaurants/warungs and some evening mood?

Edited: 11:53 pm, May 25, 2019
Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Bali
Level Contributor
16,791 posts
97 reviews
63 helpful votes
10. Re: Candidasa or Amad?

Hi Mags,

if you want large choices of stuff then stay in Jemeluk. It is ~ 2km from Hotel Uyah to Jemeluk beach. You'll find numerous places to eat/drink. A few minimarts/shops. Amed isn't a late night place. More chillaxing. Although the Pacha Reggae bar has bands on.

Don't frequent the place at night but might pop in for a drink if walking around in the afternoon.

Generally we eat a lot in the evening at Warung Enak.

Warung Celagi on the beach between Kembali and Jemeluk beach.

Drink at www.barracudabali.com/bar sunset time.

Bit of a splurge go to Sails. Not in Jemeluk but they will pickup/dropoff for free.

Snorkeling in Jemeluk you have a wider choice of area. Fall in the water n front of Kembali. Reef only 10m from shore snorkeling 1m above the reef. Outside of the reef water drops off gradually to 5m. Drift down the beach and get out in front of Amed Cafe/ Barracuda.

Or for different area simply walk 10-15mins down the beach towards Jemeluk beach itself. Sandy entry. Snorkel around the headland.

Reply to: Candidasa or Amad?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted