We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driver or wine tasting tour?

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
367 posts
350 reviews
Save Topic
Driver or wine tasting tour?

We will be dropped off at the Protea Dorpshius Hotel after a wine country tour. It is more scenic than drinking oriented. We will have one day to either rest or go to a few wine tasting locations.

We might wish to try a few wine tasting locations, and I really don't want to rely on the hotel to offer wine tasting services ($$). Does anyone have the name/email address of a driver that we can contact to take us around to a few locations? Or, the name of a small tour company that I can email. I really don't want to get on a bus with 15 people though ;)

Also, I am not sure that I want to sit down and have a big lunch somewhere.

Suggestions?

Thanks,

LDTC2

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

Try Nic Swart and his email address is: nic@gotours.co.za. We used him to & from Rust en Vrede & he's a delightful young man & is a fully qualified SA tourist guide. He is very knowledgeable about the Winelands & will be a very capable guide.

As you don't want a lunch, why not just spend the afternoon on your tour? You'll still be able to cover a lot of wineries as they're so close together.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

HI there

I would suggest to start at maybe 10am and have your first tasting at 10:30am and then after that go for lunch and the rest of the afternoon for the rest of the tastings. You can easily fit in between 3-5 estates and even more for the day and even if you would like to start earlier as well, the better. All the estates is within 5-10 min apart and within in easy reach. With a driver or tour guide for the day you can schedule and plan your day as you wish

Best Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
367 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

Thanks, I will contact him. We are actually there for two days. The first day is a wine lands tour with a few stops at wineries. I am trying to figure out about day 2. The first day was booked via the agency I was using for my African trip ( US based). They are dropping us off at the hotel following the tour, for one day of R & R. . I am sure the agency I am using is expensive. So, I wanted to do something on my ( our) own for day 2. Not really sure how far this hotel is from the town.

Maybe we can walk into town. I did ask the US agent I am using and he was no help. His response was "ask the concierge when you get there." Many Thanks,

LDTC2

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
367 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

Hi Hank,

Do you have a driver suggestion who is located over there?

Many Thanks!

LDTC2

Fordingbridge...
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

The hotel is on Dorp Street which is the main street into town. You have to cross Strand (R44), the road to Somerset West & then carry on into the town centre. It's an easy 10 minutes walk along a pleasant street lined with oak trees.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

Hi there

Yes Protea Dorpshuis Hotel is only 10mins away from the center part of Stellenbosch. Easy to walk to and with a very good scenic walk. On your way i would suggest a pop in at "Oom Samie se winkel" / Uncle Samie's shop. Some really old and antique stuff from way back in the day.

Regards

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Hoboken, New Jersey
Level Contributor
367 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

Many thanks everyone!

LDTC2

Worthing, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
66 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

We have just used Colin Baatjies for a 4 day tour in the winelands. he had a 9 seat van for 4 of us and this van was modern, extremely clean and he supplied bottled water for the day. He was religiously on time, waited for us at wineries and took us to our nexxt destination with no hassle. He is an extremely careful driver and I will use him again next year without hesitation. His email address is colinbaatjies@gmail.com. If you would want further references email myself at Nicki.b7@btinternet.com

9. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 11:35 am, November 29, 2012
Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
3,057 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driver or wine tasting tour?

@ Jazques - I can see this is your first post and you are not familiar with the Tripadvisor rules: you are not allowed to do self promotion under no circumstances, if you do your post will be removed with immediate affect.