We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Stellenbosch

Level Contributor
384 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Stellenbosch

To me Cape Town was the hors d’ourve and now it’s the time for the main course and our real reason for coming to South Africa, the wildlife and scenery. But first a trip to the Winelands.

We take a slight detour to the (unpronounceable) Vergelegen. As I am driving we pass on the wine tasting, but who needs wine – the house, gardens, and mountain scenery are all stunning. And there is no wind!

In my minds eye Stellenbosch is a quaint little town with wide avenues and white houses. When we arrived at Friday lunchtime it was like being back at home on the M25! We eventually make it our guest house and then go for a bite to eat, and a walk around, the now much quieter, town.

Stellenbosch at night has a lovely relaxed feel with a number of cafes and bars and after some dinner at a Cuban restaurant we wander round Church Street and surrounding streets. This is something we missed doing in Cape Town; we felt perfectly safe at night but not inclined to go too far from Kloof Street, nor was there much to see or do in any case.

The Vine Hopper tour is advertised as a hop-on hop-off service but in reality was like having a personal driver for the day – excellent value at R170 each. We were picked up from our guest house and our first stop is Bergkelder. An excellent stop as we learnt about French oak barrels – and something to do with the number of uses – before a cellar and tasting tour where we tried 5 fleur du cap wines. 10.30AM must be too early because none of the wines did much for me at the time but when we had a bottle at Addo it was really nice.

Next stop Beyerskloof where we tried 9 different wines all with pinotage (including a couple of whites) and some pinotage salami. By now I was learning that you did not have to drink all of it…you can tip some of it away.

Then onto my favourite winery, Simonsig. Definitely no tipping away here! We particularly liked the cap classique a bought a bottle of the Cuvee Royale for Christmas.

Our driver then changed the order of the tour for us so that we could have lunch at Delheim – delicious snoek fish cakes in the company of weaver birds, before a final wine tasting at Muratie and a quick stop at Devlera where we tried some olives and had a walk round the gardens.

I am normally a red wine drinker and whilst I enjoyed the reds in SA I did not have any wines that really “wowed” me. I did though really enjoy the whites and in particular the Sauvignon Blancs. I do not know if this is a proper wine term but a number of them had a nice zingy flavour.

We had wondered when booking our holiday if to visit Stellenbosch as a day trip from Cape Town but I am really glad we did not a spent a couple of nights there.

Camino Wine Tours
Beer Tastings & Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Tsiba Tsiba Wine Tours
City Tours, Day Trips, Private Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Historical & Heritage Tours
Afrivista Wine Tours
Wine Tours & Tastings
African Wonder Tours
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Stellenbosch

Simsu, great report, thanks. Stellenbosch has been a firm favourite for many years. We arrive 24 Dec for 8 nights of food, wine & the marvellous scenery.

Pity to you weren't wine tasting at Vergelegen. Their 2003 Vergelegen Red & 2004 merlot would have blown your socks off. The Mill Race is also very drinkable.

2. Re: Trip Report - Stellenbosch

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:35 am, June 01, 2010
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor