We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vineyards around Overture/ Bodega Restaurant

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Topic
Vineyards around Overture/ Bodega Restaurant

We may want to have lunch at either Overture or Bodega , are any other vineyards around these restaurants worth a visit?

Which is a better one to pick for lunch and more close to other attractions? Thanks in advance.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Vineyards around Overture/ Bodega Restaurant

Both are pleasant and worthwhile places but Overture is the 'better' restaurant, in fact itn is one of the best in the Winelands for lunch, particularly on a nice day when you sit outside.

Both are close to other wine farms but neither is just right beside a main road i.e. you dont just pass by them.

Close to Overture which is at Hidden Valley - itself a wine farm. At the end of the road (higher uip the hillside is Uva Mira (great views less good wines execet for the Chardonnay). Before you reach Overture you have to pass Guardian Peak and Ernie Els. Both worthwhile. Also very much in the same area is Dombaya, Bilton, Alto, Rust en Vrede (only red wines and IMO the very best dinner restaurant in whole of the Western Cape).

Bodega is at Dornier - itself a wine farm and of architectural interest too. Almost next door is Waterford a lovely Tuscan style property which does excellent wine tastings. Another neighbour is Stellenzicht - very simple surroundings but very good wine! There is also de Trafford but it is along a long dirt track and has limited opening times

There are also plenty of other estates close to both these restaurants such as Klein Zalze, (where restaurant Terroir is) Blaauklippen, Vriesenhof.

You are just spoilt for choice!

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Vineyards around Overture/ Bodega Restaurant

Not more to say after macsym's post but I will at both Bodega and Overture in the next week or two, so watch out for my critique's. Overture has a slightly unusual menu in that there are about a dozen choices from which you can choose 3,4 or 5 courses or portions at a set price. It is serious moderne haute cuisine. Bodega, on the other hand has a more traditional three course a la carte menu. It sells itself as a provider of wholesome "organic" style cuisine and its menu includes the Alsatian speciality flammekurchen (probably wrong spelling but I am in a hurry). Overture definitely needs to be booked in advance. At weekends at this time of year I would book Bodega in advance as well.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,175 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Vineyards around Overture/ Bodega Restaurant

macsym has given you the information - this is one of the two real centres of Stellenbosch Quality!

Two minor points. De Trafford has VERY limited opening - 3 hours on Friday and Saturday mornings! Will be fitting this in as part of a Stellenbosch weekend in two weeks time. I would promote Vriesenhof to the main list. Some lovely hand crafted red wines. Drank their Kallista '04 B'dx blend a week or so ago and remembered why I so liked it. Will be visiting there as well in two weeks - but, if you go, like De Trafford, it is a bit difficult to find.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
239 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Vineyards around Overture/ Bodega Restaurant

Thanks all for the information. I think Overture will be my pick.

BelfastTaxman, can't wait for your dining sharing!

5. Re: Vineyards around Overture/ Bodega Restaurant

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, February 15, 2010