We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

As part of a day trip to the Winelands, and after lunch at La Petite Ferme, I am having trouble picking a dinner location in Stellenbosch on the return to Cape Town - want a place with great ambience, nice grounds, etc..and of course good food but cannot decide between Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac or Rust...which is best for an evening dinner experience?

Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

Yalie 98 - go for the 98th best restaurant in the world, Rust en Vrede.

Lanzerac, avoid like the plague ( I have personal "history" and am rather biased here)

Tokara - great but definitely a lunch place for the views

Bodega - I do not know it

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

Stellenbosch Dinner recommendations in order :

Rust en Vrede - slightly more formal

Terroir - slightly less formal

Overture - open Thursdays and Fridays only for dinner

You will need to book well ahead for all of these especially Thurs-Sat hence three options.

Agree with Belfast on Lanzerac. Bodega is only open for lunch.

All three of these are on wine estates (5-10 min drive from the town). If you would like somewhere in the town my current favourite is Cafe Dijon which is a Bistro style restaurant with very good food - maybe you need a rest from "Fine dining"?

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

Thanks for the suggestions - itneresting thought re a rest from fine dining...I was kind of thinking I should just try somewhere in town as I might wineried out.....if we go to Rust is the setting so nice that we should do it no matter what for dinner?

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

Rust en Vrede is in a beautiful valley with surrounding mountains which you see as you drive up to the winery and the restaurant. However the restaurant itself doesn’t have views as it is in the converted old wine cellar. The emphasis here is the food.

Terroir also doesn’t have open views. It is in a nice setting at Kleine Zalze - but you do have to drive through a residential estate and a Science/Office park to get there.

Overture, on the other hand, is at the top of it’s valley and does have stunning Mountain views. If the weather is fine for lunch all dining is outside on the terrace. If the weather is not so good everything will be set up inside. I have never been there for Dinner.

You didn’t say when you are coming. Anytime from now until September it will be dark even when you start dinner. Dinner is a bit earlier in the Winelands than in the city. I think Rust en Vrede takes orders from 7:00pm but the kitchen probably doesn’t get into things until around 7:30. In the summer days here are shorter than in New York summer and even in December it will be getting dark by 8:30.

So views are for lunchtime and as well as Overture, Bodega at Dornier, Tokara and Asara Bistro all have great views.

In Stellenbosch town as well as Café Dijon another very good place is The Big Easy (owned by golfer Ernie Els). This is in a beautiful old 18th century house in the historic centre of Stellenbosch. The food is good and the prices reasonable. Café Dijon is a bit more of an informal bistro but again good food and the prices even more inexpensive.

New York
Level Contributor
61 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

Thanks, I will be there the first week of May on a Saturday so no dinner at Overture...and to be clear, will be there for dinner, not lunch and want a great place for dinner/with nice ambience.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
397 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

We stayed at Lanzerac last July, and had dinner there. We thoroughly enjoyed it.

McGregor, South...
Level Contributor
2,847 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

Yalie - without a doubt Rust en Vrede for your Saturday dinner.

Bodega is actually open on for dinner Thurs - Sat, but if you are looking for something special then book at R en V and sooner rather than later!

8. Re: Dinner in May - Tokara, Bodega, Lanzerac, Rust en Vrede?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, October 23, 2009