We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best use of limited time

Which Stellenbosch hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
belleville, illinois
Level Contributor
114 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Best use of limited time

we are on a packaged tour of SA but opted for an early departure to have a day in Stellenbosch. We booked a car/driver and guide for the day and are thinking the Waterford, Dornier and Hazendal are the places to taste. Any other thoughts? And what about shopping? I know there is a funky little oom samie se winkel but are there craft shops worth seeing? and as to lunch, I read abut Terroir and Cognito. Are they in walking distance of, if there is, a downtown Stellenbosch? I hope this is not too generic, cause I gather that is a major faux pas on this site. I hope sending other questions under separate cover is ok.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,081 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best use of limited time

Waterford, Dornier and Hazendal are all good places to visit although in different directions from the town. If you want to be really confused over wine estates to visit read the parallel thread on here :

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g312659-i9466-k258…

There are around 200 wineries in Stellenbosch and nearby areas. If you only have a few hours I would concentrate either North - Kanonkop, Simonsig, Hartenburg, Hazendal. Or South - StellenRust, Stellenzicht, Waterford, Dornier. Both of these are in fairly tight groups. The southern ones you could walk between if you went there and back by taxi. One difference the Northern group all give free tastings (Kanonkop R10). The Southern group all charge (up to R50 at Waterford). If you want to learn about SA wine my preference would be the Northern group as it would give a much broader range and the tasting room staff are more friendly.

For lunch all the best restarants are on Wine Estates. By definition these are not within walking distance of the Town (Stellenbosch is a reasonably large University Town). If you go to the Southern Group I would pick either Bodega at Dornier or Terroir at Kleine Zalze just a few minutes away. For the northern Group Simonsig (Cuvee) is excellent and there is also a very good small restauarant at Hazendal. Hartenburg do good picnic style lunches.

For shopping the streets around the historic centre have lots of good quality craft, art and souvenier shops start in Church Street and walk around. The town centre itself is beautiful with a higher concentration of 18th and early 19th cent buildings than anywhere in SA.

2. Re: Best use of limited time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:17 am, October 21, 2009