We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Babylonstoren Paarl

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
552 reviews
Save Topic
Babylonstoren Paarl

Hi

Has anyone eaten at Babel at Babylonstoren in Paarl?

It gets very good reviews and I like the idea of a leisurely Sunday lunch here, on our way to Cape Town.

It haven't seen much mention of it on here?

Many thanks

Lisa

23 replies to this topic
Belfast
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

Lisa

I have not eaten there myself but Vdc did recommend it - it appears to highlight the organic goodness of fruit and vegetables in a deli style way but you can also have steak and chips!!!

Paris, France
Level Contributor
848 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

Not really a reply to your question Lisa but we (if in the area) always have Sunday lunch at the less heard about Anura which is nearby. Doesn't have as much hype as other places but a good place to spend a 3 hour lunch, food is spot on, sitting on their terrace overlooking the garden. They used to have jazz in the garden on Sundays but am not up to date if this is still so.

shropshire
Level Contributor
126 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

Hello Lisa

Yes we have eaten at Babylonstoren. From what I remember it was very good, most unusual salads with produce from their garden.

I must admit that the highlight for me are the incredible gardens .

In February this year we had two very good lunch stops at La Motte- whilst we were staying at Rouxwil !. No wonder we have to go on a strict diet on returning to the UK.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

Thanks everyone

Thought I might be craving vegetables after 2 weeks in South Africa! So probably a good choice. I do also like pretty gardens - they look great on their website.

I have Anura on my list for our wine tasting day in Paarl, when we are staying in Wellington. But I have been recommended Laborie too.....

And I am on a diet now, so I can grow back into my clothes while on holiday!

Lisa

South Africa
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

In every restaurant you can get veggies, so no problem at all here in s.a. !!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

When in Paarl, go to the Hout Street Gallery. We've bought lots of things there, both when in Paarl and by internet when back home in the US. You can get an idea from the website. The items constantly change, but the quality and prices are always good. Really.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

Rob

Thanks for the tip, always looking for things to fill my suitcase for my return trip!

Lisa

Ilkley, United...
Level Contributor
1,023 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

Hi Lisa

We had a great lunch at Laborie last January and think we may return again on the next trip! 13 weeks and counting!!

Also trying to loose a few pounds before the trip but its hard work!

Babylonstoren looks very nice and I thought that it would be nice for a lunch when we leave Franschhoek for a short drive to Bovlei @ Wellington

Will you be bringing back any more Carrol Boyes items - I have a nice selection but looking forward to something else to add to the collection.

What date do you go?

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
2,449 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

One great gift to bring back is children's knife, fork and spoon with African animal handles. Small and memorable to young children. I think Carrol Boyes makes them but also others.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,071 posts
552 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Babylonstoren Paarl

Hi Lucyjames

Oh yes, there will definitely be Carrol Boyes in my suitcase! I love the shop in the Waterfront.. I will be making full use of my 30kgs luggage allowance from emirates!

I have booked Babel, so I will let you know how we got on before you leave.

Laborie is on my list for wine tasting on our wine tasting day from Bovlei, along with Glen Carlou, Anura, Fairview and Spice Route! All would make good lunch stops!!

We leave dreary Manchester on 16th November to head for sunny Cape Town.....7 eeks and 5 days!!!

What date do you fly off?

Lisa

Reply to: Babylonstoren Paarl
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Paarl