We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cango Caves

Which Oudtshoorn hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
1,472 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cango Caves

In Europe caves are often quite damy and musty. My wife suffered a bit when she went in very damp caves in Budapest. Are Cango Caves damp or are they fairly dry.

We will be visiting in a couple of weeks time so will the caves be noitceabley colder than outside?

Finally, we are in Oudtshoorn for two nights, we want to do the following:

- Meerkat adventure

- Ostrich farm

- Cango caves

- Cango wildlife park

- on the final day we will be driving to Knysna

Any suggestions for the best way to combine these attractions? I hear the Swartberg Pass is very spectacular but is it a gravel road? I love spectacular roads so if we could combine this it would be great.

Kent
Level Contributor
1,573 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cango Caves

I found the caves to be dry & not cold. Try not to wear a buttoned shirt/top when visiting the ostriches, they love to peck !!

Johannesburg
Level Contributor
89 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cango Caves

I highly recommend the Swartberg Pass, it is a gravel road but in good condition. We did a tour with colourfulafrica.co.za which was really worthwhile for the additional information that enhanced the experience. They picked us up from Wilgewandel Farm - really fun place to have lunch.

You could fit in Meerkats (very early am) then Cango Caves then lunch at Wilgewandel and Swartberg Pass all in one day.

Enjoy

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
2,962 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cango Caves

The caves is dry and not too cold but i would suggest to maybe try not to overdress with a warm jacket that much. If you do, try to keep it light so that you can carry it with you. I am sure there is the stage where you will turn around, because there is a stage where you will have to crawl through a very narrow gap in the rocks.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
287 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cango Caves

Thecaves are hot and dry AND not to be missed. Yes you crawl through smallish spaces but it is an awesome experience. I took a jersey in with me but took it off after 5 mins and ended up carryong it the whole time.

5. Re: Cango Caves

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:17 am, September 07, 2014