We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay garden route

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
18 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay garden route

I am trying to decide whether to stay in either Knysna or Mossel Bay for four nights. I'll be travelling with my husband and two teenage daughters. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Elizabeth

Bloemfontein, South...
Level Contributor
90 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay garden route

Definitely Knysna!

Much more to do, and is a great central base to explore the Garden Route.

There is also a far greater variety of good restaurants and food markets in Knysna.

Knysna is also one of the most scenic towns in South Africa.

Hope it helps.

Gold Coast...
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
Level Contributor
5,481 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay garden route

We too enjoyed Knysna, a lovely spot.

Edited: 2:22 am, March 14, 2014
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay garden route

Definitely Knysna! Mosselbay more a seaside town, busy over December holidays but not much else going on the rest of the year. For a base for garden route the choice is usually between Knysna and Plettenbergbay.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
350 posts
228 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay garden route

We've just got back and would definitely say Knysna. We stayed at a couple of places on the garden route and would definately use Knysna as a base next time and travel from there. Nice town and variety of eating places. We weren't impressed by Mossel Bay but wonderful beaches at Plettenberg and Tsitikamma well worth a visit. If using guest houses South Villa was excellent and well placed with lovely views across the lagoon

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay garden route

Definitely knysna.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
266 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay garden route

I'll add another vote to Knysna - a very pretty town, much nicer than Mossel Bay. We just stayed for 2 nights in January in a log cabin up in the mountains and it was one of the places we wished for extra time..

Swellendam, South...
Level Contributor
24 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay garden route

Definitely Knysna. I can recommend Cunningham's Island Guest house. http://www.islandhouse.co.za/

Enjoy your trip

Cape Town
Level Contributor
63 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: where to stay garden route

Hi Elizabeth

Absolutely, 100% Knysna! Lots to do but also quiet enough out of season (ie not December). It is also very central in the Garden Route and easily accessible to nearby towns (35 kilometres to Plettenberg Bay for example).

Note that Knysna does not have a beach (rather a lagoon). So if you would like to swim / relax on a beach, it would be a short drive to the closest beach.

I can highly recommend Amanzi Island Lodge on Leisure Isle in Knysna. Absolutely beautiful and in relaxed part of town. We stayed there on our honeymoon and will return tomorrow. They have a good website and you can book immediately.

Enjoy your time in SA!

9. Re: where to stay garden route

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 am, March 20, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Knysna