We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking around in Knysna

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tarporley, United...
Level Contributor
13 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Walking around in Knysna

Can you tell me if it is safe to walk around knysna at night.

We are looking at a guest house in the Paradise area but would like to walk to the waterfront for a meal in the evening.

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking around in Knysna

Regrettably nobody would be able to tell you that it will be risk-free. My personal view is that it would be reasonably safe, though. Would I do it with my wife? Yes, I would, but I will be alert. I would not carry camera's, handbags, etc openly. And if a scenario looks suspect in any way, cross the street and walk on the other side.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking around in Knysna

Knysna is pretty safe, but as John said.. just be alert at all times.

Try to wear a backpack or sling bag instead of a normal shoulder handbag and don't go into area's where there aren't too many other people around to help should anything happen.

Knysna, Garden...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking around in Knysna

Dear Cat876

Knysna in general is a safe place by any standards and Paradise is one of the safest areas. It's, with leisure island, the preferred place by locals and locals alike for their afternoon/evening jogging and walking exercise. It is a gentle and leisurely 15/20mnts walk downhill from the top of Paradise to the waterfront, it is enjoyed the best before dark to admire the views and colorful sunsets. Said that unfortunate things can happen in the most unsuspected places all over the world so use your common sense as you would do in your home town and avoid the main street at night.

Ross and Bianca

Knysna, Garden...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking around in Knysna

Dear Cat876

Knysna in general is a safe place by any standards and Paradise is one of the safest areas. It's, with leisure island, the preferred place by locals and locals alike for their afternoon/evening jogging and walking exercise. It is a gentle and leisurely 15/20mnts walk downhill from the top of Paradise to the waterfront, it is enjoyed the best before dark to admire the views and colorful sunsets. Said that unfortunate things can happen in the most unsuspected places all over the world so use your common sense as you would do in your home town and avoid the main street at night.

Ross and Bianca

Leigh-on Sea...
Level Contributor
3,701 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking around in Knysna

villafrikana,

we are staying at Amanzi and were expecting to be able to walk around at night especially around the waterfront area of the town. .

Where is the main street that is to be avoided please?.

Knysna, Garden...
Level Contributor
32 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking around in Knysna

Dear Cat876

The Amanzi is located in Leisure Island, great place to walk leisurely around the island but too far from the waterfront to walk there in the evenings, there are a couple of restaurants in the island and one close by. Taxis are also readily available in Knysna.

Our main street is actually the N2 (the major road cape town to port elizabeth) and a part from a couple of restaurants not much else going on in the evenings.

Ross and Bianca

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
30 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking around in Knysna

Hi Gem 166

I think what villaafrika says is similar to what I said in my first post: Safety cannot be guaranteed - not in Londen, not in Paris and neither in Knysna. However, compared what standards in FIRST WORLD countries, Knysna is as safe as it gets.

I have personally walked around Main Street at night with my wife and I have never felt unsafe. But I have never done so with lots of obvious valuables on me.

I think all va says is: Of all the safe place in Knysna, Main Street may be least safe. Does that make sense...? Lol!

Enjoy your Knysna stay and remember : Port Elizabeth is just around the corner.

8. Re: Walking around in Knysna

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, February 21, 2013