We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

knysna oyster co

Which Knysna hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
hants, uk
Level Contributor
399 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
knysna oyster co

ive read on the forums that knysna oyster company has now closed?....i was looking forward to trying the oysters there....any recommendations for where one can go instead??....

Knysna
Level Contributor
1 post
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: knysna oyster co

There are plenty of other places to try oysters: The Oyster Catcher (owned by the Knysna Oyster Co) & the iconic 34 Degrees South restaurant - both at the Knysna Quays. There's also the new 34 Degrees South Oyster & Tapas bar & Scirocco on Thesen Islands . Hope this helps - happy slurping!

Selwyn Davidowitz...
Level Contributor
194 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: knysna oyster co

kj1234,

Unfortunately you are correct in assuming that Knysna Oyster Company is not existent anymore.

As much as I would agree with Mammadillo's list of places to fnd oysters in Knysna, the enjoyment of slurping oysters as it used to be done at the Knysna Oyster Company is just not existent any more. Alas the days of finding fantastic jumbo coastal oysters in town are virtually over and so is a wonderful part of Knysna's being known as one of the oyster capitals of the world. Can you believe it there now is a SANParks office where the Oyster Company used to be on Thesen Island. What a great pity this all truly is.

Selwyn Davidowitz

Very proudly part of the wonderful rainbow nation of South Africa

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: knysna oyster co

We went to 34 Degrees South on Thesen Island, and it was just okay. Very upsetting. I was looking forward to oyster for the months building up to the trip. Honestly, the oysters in Canada were much better than the ones at 34 Degrees South.

Sorry...

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
556 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: knysna oyster co

I have never been disappointed with 34 Deg South at the Knysna Quays, which is the original one. This restaurant has been there for many years now and still the best sea food....

Yes...pity about Knysna Oyster Co!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
730 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: knysna oyster co

Sorry, correction. Originally we went to Thesen Island, but ended up driving to the Knysna Quays instead. Maybe we were just expecting the food to be so much better than what we get at home, but it wasn't. My kids had sushi (okay, but not great), I had the mussels (pretty tasty), and I can't remember what my husband had. It also didn't help that our server was terrible! Probably the worst server we had on our entire trip. In fact, the manager noticed us looking around for him (we ordered a second drink and 20 minutes went by... and nothing) and rushed over. She said she would get on it right away... another 10 minutes (dinner done) and finally our beer and glass of wine appeared.

Good luck to others!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
902 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: knysna oyster co

The Knysna Oyster Company has indeed closed it's doors on Theusens Island and are now farming in Port Elizabeth. Their retail outlet in Knysna is Oystercatcher.

7. Re: knysna oyster co

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 18, 2010