We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"in or out?"

South Wales
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
"in or out?"

Some advice please.

I`d like to stay in the Hermanus area next March for a week, but I can`t make up my mind whether to stay in town or in the Hemel en Aarde Valley. I prefer peace and quiet and "classy" self catering accommodation with a minimum of two bedrooms. There are only two of us so large units are out. Any ideas folks?

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,437 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "in or out?"

A compromise might be the Hornbill House - http://www.hornbillhouse.co.za/ - In the little commercial area right at the entry to the Hemel en Aarde valley. Hornbill has been the location of the production side of the work by artist Erna Dry for a number of years.. the Drys have a gallery there, too. hornbillhouse.co.za/ceramics_south_african_a… Her work is sold all over the world, not just in Africa. I looked at their new self-catering units a couple of weeks ago and was struck by how much you get for a relatively low rate.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

South Wales
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "in or out?"

Hello Dave

And thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

Before spending time in the Hermanus area which one of the following would you recommend a stay for a few days relaxation? - McGregor, Montague or Greyton

Cheers

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "in or out?"

I would go for Montague. The reason for that is that the Town is bigger than the others and also with more things to do. But also as you have mentioned, you want peace and quiet, then McGregor is the best option.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Paris, France
Level Contributor
871 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "in or out?"

Dau-Ddyn

Agree with Hank, we go to Montagu every year and there is much to do in the area. Trying McGregor for the first time in February which also has much to offer. Whichever you chose they are near enough to visit one from the other.

shropshire
Level Contributor
127 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "in or out?"

Have stayed in all three places. There is much more to do in Montague, although Mcgregor has a charm of its own.

I am sure that you will enjoy either place.

Paris, France
Level Contributor
871 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: "in or out?"

Sorry everyone but it's Montagu without the e (just couldn't help but point it out !)

South Wales
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: "in or out?"

Hello Folks

Thank you all for taking the time and effort to reply; so kind of you all. I think the next step would be to have a look at self catering options in both towns. Have any of you any preferences for peaceful self catering accommodation with 2 bedrooms? There are 2 of us and I snore!

Thank you 'frenchpoodle75'. Noted my incorrect spelling of Montagu

Cheers all

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,261 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "in or out?"

Have a look at www.safarinow.com for more details.

Hank - Owner - Ulungele Tours

Paris, France
Level Contributor
871 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "in or out?"

Dau-ddyn - We always stay at Aasvoelkrans in Montagu www.aasvoelkrans.co.za -it's a farm and very peaceful but just in town so not far away - I can highly recommend it - it is bed and breakfast but one of their cottages has 2 rooms with a kitchen.. You might have noticed that not only did I corrcect 'Montagu' but I also corrected your welsh from dau-dyn to dau-ddyn LOL Couldn't help but do that either!!!!!!!

Edited: 2:44 am, June 13, 2013
10. Re: "in or out?"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Hermanus