We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Our itinerary for Hermanus- comments and tips welcome

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,082 posts
80 reviews
Save Topic
Our itinerary for Hermanus– comments and tips welcome

Hi everybody,

We are a couple (middle twenties and early thirties), going to visit South Africa for two weeks in the beginning of September for the first time. Namely we are driving west from Port Elizabeth to Cape Town. I made quite some research and ended up with this itinerary:

Misty Beach Chateau – one night

Whale season, enough of a reason to go to Hermanus. Very mixes reviews about our hotel, guess we have to find out for ourselves. Any suggestions for a romantic dinner for a intimate birthday celebration for 2?

Burton upon Trent...
Level Contributor
213 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Our itinerary for Hermanus– comments and tips welcome

Hi,

we recently stayed at the Auberge Burgundy Hermanus and it was lovely - comfy chairs, large bedroom, balcony, dressing room, attractive bathroom and near shops / restaurants. Meal portions are very large over there and we ended up asking for starter size portions! I wish I was going for whale season - enjoy yourselves!

Las Vegas
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Our itinerary for Hermanus– comments and tips welcome

One place you should definitely visit while you're there, even just for a drink is Bientang's Cave. Here's their website:

bientangscave.com/bientangscave_home_1.htm

Great scenery, nice people. I never ate there, but my future in-laws (who live right outside Hermanus) said the food is good. My brother in law got married there. The land based whale watching is supposed to be absolutely phenomenal from there, and you're going in season, so I would make a reservation.

Another good restaurant I did actually eat at was B's Steakhouse. Yum! It's located just a few minutes from downtown. Alternately, you could eat at the Cuckoo Tree - the food was delicious. For breakfast I would recommend Fusion, which is right above the old harbor, or Cafe Europa, which is right next door, or even Savannah which is in the same square but upstairs.

I loved Hermanus, and the people are wonderful there - they also have their own little wine country in the mountains right behind Hermanus, in the Hemel en Aarde (Heaven on Earth) valley. It's a very short drive to some good wineries, including Bouchard Findlayson, which has some heavenly whites, and a red called Hannibal that is to die for.

Have fun!

3. Re: Our itinerary for Hermanus– comments and tips welcome

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:18 pm, August 15, 2009