We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

whales in hermanus

Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Topic
whales in hermanus

is there an easy way to find out the last sightings of whales in hemanus.we are driving the garden route in late november and would be in hermanus at the end of the month. i was thinking of going there but it is so far out of our way and if there are no whales there then i would prefer to do something else. is there anyway of checking sightings a few days before we arrive? tourist office or a website?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
4,566 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: whales in hermanus

Here's some info from http://hermanus.com/whalewatching.mv

"A whale watching hotline provides visitors who wish to travel to Hermanus and environs with up to the minute information on the whereabouts of the whales ( 0283122629 ). Walker Bay is one of the favoured bays for Southern Right Whales to calve and mate and between September and November sitings are practically guaranteed on a daily basis."

Edited: 6:25 pm, October 09, 2011
Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,215 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: whales in hermanus

Hi there

You are guaranteed to see whales but it also depends on the weather. The sightings has not been so good for the last few weeks, but there is whales. Some days your spotting will be very good and for other days they will be far out and the spotting can be difficult. Follow the link provided and see if that may help you with your trip planning.

Regards

Hank - Ulungele Tours & Safari's

Hermanus, South...
Destination Expert
for Namibia
Level Contributor
1,678 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: whales in hermanus

I am living in Hermanus at the moment and there is a lot of whale activity. I see them every day just driving to town and back, so if you have a whole day you should be ok. I saw whales on Christmas day when I was down for a visit last year. If you do come and can't see any whales then it is a good idea to pop a little further round to De Kelders. You can often get nice sightings there too.

Mentioned in this post
De Kelders
De Kelders
Overstrand, South Africa
Dundalk, Ireland
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: whales in hermanus

thanks everyone. i knew there had to be a hotline or something to tell people if there were any recent sightings.

what accommodation would you recommend for a one night stop or do i need to consider a 2 nighter? we are going to be coming from george and heading on to stellenbosch after. that may not give us much time to settle or see anything. i would consider staying round in gansbaai or de kelders and taking doing a shark dive

thanks again for info so far

Dorset
Level Contributor
73 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: whales in hermanus

Recently stayed at De Kelders B&B - lovely hosts and a verandah from which you can see the whales. (I actually could see them from the bed if I sat up!) You can walk straight from the B&B to the shore. The whales come in close. Hope to write a review.

Leeds, United...
Destination Expert
for Western Cape, Cape Town Central
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
608 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: whales in hermanus

Hi

My favourite place is de Kelders. I would always pick here over Hermanus, mainly for the cliff walks and just how close you can get to the whales. Last year in November we walked around the cliffs from our guest house to the cafe, following a mother and her calf. They then performed for us while we had our coffee. It was magical. I stayed at Umnenge Lodge and would definitely recommend here. Richard and Mary are excellent hosts and would help you organise your shark diving - fantastic balconies from the room to watch the whales too. I would try and do 2 nights, especially if you are thinking of going shark diving.

Lisa

Basel, Switzerland
Level Contributor
38 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: whales in hermanus

De Kelders is just amazing, we spent hours last October on the cliff walks watching whales and dolphins! And saw so many of them!

My husband thought the shark diving was the high point of our trip.

I didn't enjoy it, the sea was quite rough and I got sea sick for the first time in my life, as did most of the passengers. But of course if the sea would have been calm, perhaps I would have liked the trip.

But I absolutely loved watching the whales from the cliff walk!

Mari

Mentioned in this post
De Kelders
De Kelders
Overstrand, South Africa
Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,488 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: whales in hermanus

End of November, you might do better doing a boat tour of Plettenberg Bay. You are unlikely to see Right whales there, but would have a good chance of seeing Humpbacks and some of the smaller whales.

www.oceanadventures.co.za www.oceansafaris.co.za

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: whales in hermanus

Hi Hank -- you seem to be closest to real time on the ground hence my msg to you. I'm going to be in Hermanus in 10 days time. This will be my second visit. The first one was in July (too early). Do you think this time in November may be too late for great land based whale watching and filming? Best wishes.

Hanoi, Vietnam
Level Contributor
11 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: whales in hermanus

Hi Hank -- you seem to be closest to real time on the ground hence my msg to you. I'm going to be in Hermanus in 10 days time. This will be my second visit. The first one was in July (too early). Do you think this time in November may be too late for great land based whale watching and filming? Best wishes.