We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark cage diving

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Shark cage diving

Coming to SA in late feb early march and want to dive with great whites.However being a diver i want to use tank.Ive noticed that a lot of operators only use snorkles or hold your breath methods.Does anyone know of an operator that will use scuba gear and rent it as coming from uk i do not want to bring my own.I am not good using a snorkle and feel i woul be better using scuba equipment.

Thanks in advance

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark cage diving

This site - gansbaaiinfo.com/experiences/sharkcage.html - lists a number of the shark cage diving operators in Gansbaai. Michael Rutzen, of Shark Diving Unlimited - is THE man who has done the most free diving with the sharks of those people in the shark business there. I suggest emailng him, and maybe all the others, and ask about scuba + sharks. If they offer it or know someone who does, they will tell you.

I think you will find that they don't see the benefit in offering that experience. Too risky, from a business standpoint. I don't believe they want the responsibility for taking out a complete stranger who says he or she can scuba dive with sharks and be absolutely in control and perfectly qualified to do something so dangerous around the unpredictable white sharks.

Edited: 4:58 pm, August 14, 2010
Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,086 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark cage diving

I agree with Dave. I don't think any commercial operators would take you diving with Great Whites. They (and you!) would never get insurance. On the other side of the country you can free dive with far less dangerous Tiger Sharks. On the Aliwal Shoal in the Indian Ocean off KwaZulu-Natal.

A number of operators can organise trips for PADI qualified divers. Such as : http://www.bluevision.co.za/shark_diving.htm

Then if you are only in the Western Cape and want to free dive with Sharks you can do so. in a huge tank with Ragged Tooth Sharks, Giant Turtles and Rays and much other Marine Life at the Cape Town Two Oceans Aquarium.

aquarium.co.za/diving/…

Edited: 8:03 pm, August 14, 2010
Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
3,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark cage diving

I believe madcow is asking about taking a tank into the same cage others would be snorkeling in, not looking for operators to take him out in the open ocean without a cage. And no operator anywhere in the world would take a strangers word that they can dive, that's why there are international certification programs. I'm sure if he's capable of diving he can produce a card to prove it.

Madcow, we're fine with snorkeling, so we haven't looked into taking a tank. You'd have to just check out the various operators. But I've heard there is an issue with bubbles from regulators. Also, the cage is right at surface level, that's why they do snorkels rather than tanks. So I don't think you'd be required to hold your breath and get fully submerged.

Crete, Greece
Level Contributor
122 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark cage diving

Thank you for your replies but as the last poster said what i meant was taking scuba into a tank,im soory that i didnt make myself very clear.Its just most operators use snorkles or hold your breath methods and as im a really bad snorkler but am an advanced diver i thought id try to do the scuba option.

thanks everyone for your replies

kbp
Seattle, WA
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark cage diving

I'm organizing a similar trip for myself. This company has been recommended on TripAdvisor and allows for both scuba and snorkeling in the cage: white-shark-diving.com/white-shark-diving.htm

I'm planning a trip with them.

My friend used this company a couple of months ago and recommended it to me as well. He said it was an AMAZING experience. Hope this helps.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,492 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark cage diving

The company mentioned above is the one I regularly use for my clients. It's White Shark Ecoventures - and they do take the ecology side of the business seriously. Others do, as well. But I just like this one the best.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

7. Re: Shark cage diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:17 am, February 21, 2011