We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale Watching trip or on-shore viewing?

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Whale Watching trip or on-shore viewing?

I did post this at the end of another topic about whale watching but didn't get any replies ( I shouldn't have hijacked another thread!)

We're travelling to South Africa to Cape Town and along the garden route in September and are staying in Hermanus for two nights - which assuming we leave Cape Town after Breakfast and then Hermanus again first thing onto our next destination gives us one full day and a half in Hermanus. We are planning on a Shark Diving trip which will be planned in for our one full day (fingers crossed the weather is ok!), however we were also thinking about a whale watching trip which would have to be in the afternoon after travelling from Cape Town.

What I'm now wondering is if it's actually worth doing a whale trip at all, or is the experience of seeing them from the land good enough to forego this trip and give ourselves a bit of breathing space and time in Hermanus itself? We're staying at the Ocean Eleven guest house which I believe has good views overlooking the bay.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale Watching trip or on-shore viewing?

This one's easy. After your shark dive, drive along the seafront in De Kelders, and you will have great up-close whale watching. This site advertising a piece of property shows exactly how it is, every day from now till October: http://www.prime-plots.co.za/whales.htm De Kelders is the community you will see just before you reach Gansbaai.

Brentwood, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale Watching trip or on-shore viewing?

Wow that's great thanks! I didn't realise you could get quite that close to the whales from the land!

Are the hiking trails easy to find/get to? And are they quite long? I'd definitely like to take a look here.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,286 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale Watching trip or on-shore viewing?

Here's a site (belongs to good friend of mine) that describes the trail. Take a look at the photo gallery too. www.marebella.co.za/gansbaai_activities.html

London England
Level Contributor
180 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale Watching trip or on-shore viewing?

Hi Bwandadave

Marebella looks really nice and we are thinking of a trip in October to include some whale watching. Is the food good here and are there good restaurants nearby.

Many thanks

5. Re: Whale Watching trip or on-shore viewing?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 03, 2011