We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shark Cage Diving

Gansbaai
4 posts
Save Topic
Shark Cage Diving

I want to bring friends to Gansbaai for Shark cage diving. There are so many companies on the net. Who do I choose?

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shark Cage Diving

We were recommended White Shark Ecoventures http://www.white-shark-diving.com/ from other people on TA and had a great trip with them.

We went in late November which apparently is close to the end of the time of year that you will see Great Whites but we saw 3 so close up they were bumping the cage as they went past and all 3 were 'with us' for a long while.

We got some great photos as well! Which reminds me to post them on here.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Shark Cage Diving

If this thread stays active long enough you will get recommendations for all of the eight or nine operators from Gansbaai - actually sail from Kleinbaai. You will also get a few comments against.

This basically says that all the operators are basically the same. Emma went with White Shark EcoVentures in November and saw 3 sharks and was very happy. We went with the same company towards the end of October and saw seven. But was it a "better" experience? Probably not.

All the companies go to exactly the same area off Dyer Island. You get the same length of trip with the same general timetable and are all about the same cost. One day you will see more sharks from one boat, the next day more from another - a specific day is just chance.

Some boats are bigger than others. Some argue (mainly the skippers) that the bigger boats are more stable and being higher gives a better view from the top deck. Others (guess who?) argue that the smaller boats have fewer passengers, which gives you longer time in the water. We went on a bigger boat and everybody had as much time as they wanted. The skipper didn't come back until everybody said OK.

All operators film a real time DVD of you (and everybody else) in the water with the sharks. They all sell them for about the same extra cost (well worth it IMO).

So you could spin a bottle and just pick one - you will very likely have a really good experience.

The only differences come if you pick a different area such as False Bay or Mossel Bay (more pros and cons) but it seems there are reasons you want to stay in Gansbaai. So just spin that bottle!

Edited: 12:18 pm, May 26, 2010
Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,635 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Couldn't have said it better myself - and I live part time in the community where the boats embark. I see them all regularly, have been out on 3 different ones, and you won't make a mistake whichever one you choose.

empangeni
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shark Cage Diving

hi Sharklover, wow, i'm jealous. I was in Gansbaai only recently but I would love to go back again. I also found many operators, and could not decide. I then looked for a central shark dive bookings office and found sharkbookings :-)

Gansbaai
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Shark Cage Diving

We don't have wetsuits, is it a problem?

Market Bosworth...
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shark Cage Diving

Ours provided everything you needed, you could rent towels as well but we took our own.

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,089 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Shark Cage Diving

What Emma says is the same for all the operators. Most of the Wet suits are in reasonably good condition and they have a broad range of sizes - from kid's to super-size Afrikaaner Rugby Forward!

Edited: 12:19 pm, May 30, 2010
empangeni
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Shark Cage Diving

the company supplied all the gear...

Gansbaai
4 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Shark Cage Diving

What a accommodation, anywhere good you could recommend?

empangeni
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shark Cage Diving

I stayed at a lovely guesthouse named The Roundhouse. Enjoy your vacation and let me know how it all turned out :-)