We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London Ontario
Level Contributor
570 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Hello,

Just wondering if anyone had any feedback on either of these two guest houses?

Is either one in a better location for whale viewing and being near to restaurants?

Also, I noticed the Auberge Burgandy mentioned they take children over 12. Would this be the case for the Provence also?

Thank you,

Beth

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Auberge Burgundy is just off the water next to the Old Harbor, lots of good restaurants around including one right across the street. Shops, galleries, whales - all of them just steps away. It is better situated in every way than Auberge Provence. Next door to Burgundy is Harbour House, and if you can book one of the rooms facing the water on the TOP floor in the NEW building, I would prefer it over either of the other two.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 7:46 pm, March 27, 2010
London Ontario
Level Contributor
570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Hi Dave,

Thank you so much for your comments on the Auberge properties as well as the new recommendation. I shall check that out.

I just actually finished watching your youtube video on shark cage diving! YIKES!!!!! I was considering it but it looks SCARY!!!!!

Quite confusing when trying to separate out all the cage dive operators.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
3,910 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Ditto on everything Dave had to say about Auberge Burgundy. I stayed there, liked the accommodations and concluded it couldn't have been more convenient for whale-watching and access to shops/restaurants.

Steve

London Ontario
Level Contributor
570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Thanks, Steve.

I think we may book it since it's in such a good spot!

Horsham, United...
Level Contributor
153 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

I agree with Dave that Harbour House in the new wing is better than both. I find Auberge Burgundy a little hit & miss.

James - Africa Collection

London Ontario
Level Contributor
570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

I emailed Harbour House. They said in the new hotel, their rooms only hold two people. We would need two rooms and none of them are connecting so I don't think it will work for us.

AfColl and Dave,

Why do you both feel it is a better property? And what is hit or miss with Auberge Burgandy?

Any other suggestions? We want to be near the sea as we only have the one night and also would like to be close to restaurants and any other sights.

Thank you.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

One word of advice about the Auberge Burgundy, and the new one next door, it is well located for the whales but is also very close to Zebra Crossing, Shimmi and what used to be Obar (can't remember the new name sorry) These are all rather loud, noisy bars and if the wind is blowing in the wrong direction you will be kept up till the early hours of the morning.

My mum used to be the onsite manager for a time at Auberge Burgundy and by far the biggest complaint was noise at night.

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

London Ontario
Level Contributor
570 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Thank you Gemma for the insight into the noise factor!!!

Noise doesn't usually bother us that much. I"m more interested in being well located to the whales since we are there for such a short time.

Do you know if this is near the Bientang Cave Restaurant? My daughter has her heart set on eating here. (And yes, we've heard the food is terrible but this is her only real request for meals!)

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
433 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Auberge Burgundy is just over the road from the steps to Bientangs...the food is pretty awful agreed, but it does have a great view, so it is a trade off.

I hope the wind blows the right direction for you on your stay...Enjoy Hermanus it's a lovely place

Gemma Dry - Safari Manager - Truly Africa Tours

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,416 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Auberge Provence or Auberge Burgandy

Harbour House gets my recommendation because of the views and some extras in the rooms - a fridge, microwave. I had a guest who stayed there in February - she was on the other side of the property most of her stay and her water view was nice but not as close as the view on the 'town' side. Too bad about no connecting rooms.. Maybe the original Harbour House right next to the new structure would have family rooms.. Not sure about that. There's one other option, not too expensive, Marine Square, which has 2 bedroom apartments..Even one 3-bedroom apartment. http://www.marinesquare.co.za/ - Also well located, just a little more than a block off the water, right in town. Very posh, I will say.

Dave Patterson - Owner - The Africa Safari

Edited: 1:08 am, March 30, 2010