We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best boat company to see sharks

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best boat company to see sharks

I know a lot of the tours are essentially the same. However, we may not get in the cage so which ones are best for seeing the sharks from the boat? Obviously safety, price and odds of a sighting are our priority. We would also prefer a boat that is environmentally friendly and does not feed the sharks.

If we do go for a cage dive, which boats have lids to the cage? This seems safer as it could prevent a shark from jumping into the cage?? Or am I just being overly cautious?

How would you compare Shark Diving Unlimited, Shark Cage Diving with Brian Mcfarlane, White Shark Ecoventures, or Marine Dynamics? Any preference as per the above?

Thanks

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
94 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

I refer most of my clients to White Shark Cage Diving with Brian McFarlane for energetic approach to his business. I would think the other suppliers you list do an adequate job and this post is not a slight against them, just support for Brian. My clients have always been quite pleased with him, as have I.

Brian recently got a new boat and has been in the business for ove a decade. prior to operating the shark boat, he was a commercial fisherman in the area. He is well known in the Hermanus/Gansbaai area.

All the boats are gong to chum for the sharks. They are aslo going to throw out a tuna head or two to attract the sharks.

I have seen the unnerving video where the white shark enters the cage from above. While I have dived 5-6 times with Brian and a few other suppliers and feel completely comfortable with not having a lid on the cages I have entered, I can appreciate your concern. You might want to email these companies and see if their new cages have lids. I prefer a cage without a lid as it feels less confining. Having dived a few times, I am comfortable realizing the video we have all seen was an anomoly.

Richard Pace

Owner

Southern Sky Adventures

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
9,436 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

I always recommend White Shark Ecoventures and Shark Diving Unlimited. I am not a big fan of Brian's new boat because it is so large. But that's just me. My video that I shot on the White Shark Ecoventures boat - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-jHNnXi80I - includes some shots from above. It has a very comfortable upper deck with plenty of space for all who want to be there. It might be best if you don't intend to get in the cage. As mentioned above, all the boats spread 'chum' on the water - essentially fish blood and maybe a iittle bit of fish, too. And they all 'bait' the sharks with fish pieces on a long rope, or - on one of the boats where I shot the video - they also threw out a flat cutout in the silhouette shape of a seal.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
104 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

Thanks guys. What about White Shark Projects? They seem to be involved in research and conservation.

As much as it may feel more confining, I can't imagine getting in a cage without a lid between me and the sharks. Does the Ecoventures cage have a lid?

munich
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

Hi,

I can recommend Marine Dynamics and Sharkdiving Unlimited.

Brian McFarlane is not my favorite, he has the biggest boat and the biggest

mouth, thats all.

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

white shark projects - definetly the best company - good ethical practises

South Africa
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

drive a little bit further to Kleinbaai and board the Whale Wisperer. Amazing!

South Africa
Level Contributor
63 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

drive a little bit further to Kleinbaai and board the Whale Wisperer. Amazing!

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

So we have five posts with recommendations for six different companies which is nearly all of them!

Basically says there is no difference!

Hermanus, South...
Level Contributor
21 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

there is defintely a difference! only two companies to look at would be white shark projects and marine dynamics - they do a lot of work in their local communities and this is underlined by their fair trade accreditation

Cape Town
Level Contributor
10,309 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best boat company to see sharks

Hi charms

Since you joined TA two and a half years ago you have posted about nothing else then White Shark Projects. Sometimes pages long "commercials" talking about what "we" do. You even resurect old threads to plug this one message.

You say you live in "Reading" but seem to actually live in Gansbaai. Is there nothing else in the whole of the Whale Coast or anywhere in the rest of the Western Cape, or South Africa, that you feel is worth recommending to tourists who come here on vacation?

Of course you may be a local resident who just likes to go Shark Diving a lot, but you are, of course, aware that advertising for a company with which you are associated is strictly against TA rules. It is also against TA rules to rubbish other companies without specific cause. To say that it is not even worth looking at the other Shark Diving companies is obviously wrong. In total far more people go with other companies than WSP and the vast majority have a great experience.

Get answers to your questions about Hermanus