We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whales at the end of November?

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Newcastle UK
5 posts
Save Topic
Whales at the end of November?

Will I be able to see whales at the end of November? Would you recommend 1 or 2 nights at that time in Hermanus? Thanks!

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whales at the end of November?

Yes - there are always whales still there then. Not as many, perhaps, as in Aug thru Oct, but some for sure.

And I recommend you travel another half hour farther and see them at De Kelders. Much easier, lots of mating groups close to shore, mothers with calves. And the boat-based whale watching on the Ivanhoe, based in Gansbaai, in my experience, is far superior to the boat in Hermanus.

Newcastle UK
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whales at the end of November?

Thanks very much for your help. I wonder if I should stay at De Kelders or Gansbaai as we also plan to go shark diving. Is there much going on in those places in the evenings (we are not looking for wild parties or nightclubs just a couple of nice bars and restaurants)?

Hermanus
Level Contributor
11 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Whales at the end of November?

Hi the whales arrived quite early this year and year on year there are more whales. Although it is quite common now that whales are still seen as late as December - there are definitely less than in peak whale season i.e. August/September/October.

One of the best viewing points for whales is Sievers Point. In fact one can walk the Cliff Path and spend a day just sitting on one of the many benches at the various viewing points taking in the scenery, whales, birds, dassies etc.

Hermanus is a vibrant town with excellent restaurants to choose from, not to mention the beaches. Grotto beach is a spectacular sandy beach and there are a number of smaller beaches.

I would definitely stay in Hermanus and rather drive to Gansbaai and De Kelders. Many travellers use Hermanus as a base and travel to Stellenbosch, Franschoek, 'L Agulhas etc. If you drive from Cape Town to Hermanus use the scenic route via Gordons Bay and stop of at Stony Point in Betty's Bay to see the Penguin Colony. In fact if you stay in the Hermanus Area you have access to excellent Golf Courses, Wine Estates, Restaurants, Fernkloof Nature reserve, beaches, etc. etc.

Enjoy your visit to SOuth Africa

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,283 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whales at the end of November?

I just saw this thread again today - and after reading your response to my first note - I have to reluctantly admit that there isn't any nightlife in De Kelders nor Gansbaai. If you intend to do the shark diving, you should know the schedule. Staying in Hermanus, you would need to be in Gansbaai about 8AM - 8:30AM, the operator can give specifics on exactly when, and where.

There would be time after the shark dive to drive along the coastline at De Kelders (2 miles from Gansbaai, on the way back to Hermanus). Here you could see the whales for as long as you choose, then go back to your

hotel in Hermanus, or to your next destination if you choose to have stayed in Hermanus just the night before. If you envisioned going out on the licensed boat to see the whales, that would require you to return the next day. Can't shark dive and whale boat in one day because of their schedules.

Newcastle UK
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whales at the end of November?

Fantastic! Thanks so much for all your help. I can't wait to see lots of whales and sharks!

UK
Level Contributor
14 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Whales at the end of November?

Please, if you are going shark diving in Gansbaai, DO NOT go with SHARK LADY !!!

They were so unproffesional, they took us out when the visibility was like ZERO, they knew this before we went out !

The dive master, Lance, had no patience for anyone, told us that the rest of the world hated Scottish people like us and made us feel so uncomfortable.

He was lecturing us about about how ethical he was with the sharks and never let them actually get the bait until 7 hours later, there was no sight of any sharks. We finally saw 2 great whites and i made and off the cuff remark saying " i wont be happy until i see some shark teeth "

Then Lance threw his ethics out of the window and teased the shark with the bait and let the shark eat the bait.

It seemed as if they were just desperate for your money and didnt want to educate you about the sharks. Out of the 12 people on the boat, not ONE person even went down in the cage yet we were still charged the full amount.

7. Re: Whales at the end of November?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:17 am, October 01, 2009