We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Northampton
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Hi

Am looking at staying in Hermanus for 2 nights of our honeymoon. We like the look of a few different places and so wondered if any of you could help out?

Oceans Eleven

Abalone Guest House

On the Cliffs Guest House

Hermanus Beach Villa

Is there a best bit of the bay to stay on to see the whales? I would love to be able to see them from my balcony! We're going next Sept so hoping they'll be lots of them?!

Thanks

Lauren

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

You will be able to see the whales if your balcony has a sea-view and faces Walker Bay.

Suggest Pelagus House or La Fontaine - refer to

www.portfoliocollection.com for further information.

These listings i.e. Guest Houses/Bed and Breakfasts are meticulously checked annually and the information is reliable.

Enjoy your stay.

London
Level Contributor
153 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

I can only comment on On the Cliffs guest house (stayed sep 07)as i havent stayed at the others. We all loved our stay with OTC, the owners were very welcoming and helpful. In the morning we walked across the road to the rocks and were lucky enough to have the whales come wave goodbye to us (a local walking his dog at the time commented on how lucky we were!). Technically it is a walkable distance into 'town' for dinner but we chose instead to drive to the Harbour part to a lovely seafood restaurant (as recommended by the owners). All the rooms at the guest house have views over the road to the ocean and our rooms were spotless and spacious. THere's a bar area upstairs which is nice for a sundowner and to meet the other guests and hear what they've been doing that day. Theres a small plunge pool in the back, but it was too cold for us to take a dip. My only comment would be that next time (and there will be hopefully) i'd ask for an upstairs room as they have verandas so i'd imagine the view would be even better from there.

I hope i've helped. Have a great trip.

Queeny xx

Vienna, Austria
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

I stayed in the Arabella Western Cape Hotel & Spa which is located 15 min. from Hermanus in a just awesome setting.

This hotel was a highlight of our trip and I can only recommend it:

http://www.westerncapehotelandspa.co.za/

I also wrote a review on the Tripadvisor.

We made a day trip to De Kelders where we watched whales right from the coast and then went to Hermanus where we walked along the sandy beach - just awesome.

Northampton
Level Contributor
174 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Queenbee!

Thanks very much for the info. If we decide on OTC I will definitely ask for a veranda! x

Tourist Guide - thanks very much also....I'll check them out.

Ulrike 73 - thanks for the tip!

Lauren

north yorkshire
Level Contributor
1,224 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Having just returned from SA, we stayed at Whalesong Lodge in De Kelders, just across the bay from Hermanus with wonderful views from its terrace. The Honeymoon suite there has its own personal terrace and floor to ceiling windows so you can watch for whales from your bed!!! It is 1500 rand per night for the room. They do a wonderful dinner every alternate night and there is also a good restaurant just around the corner. De Kelders is only a small hamlet but we spent most of our time just staring out from the terrace with a glass of wine, a book and binoculars - the view was just so amazing.

6. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 pm, September 24, 2009