We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sharkCage from hermanys

Which Hermanus hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sutton Coldfield...
Level Contributor
509 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
sharkCage from hermanys

We are staying at the Oceans Eleven guest house in September for a couple of nights, and we are not driving but would like to know if my husband would be able to go on a shark cage trip I think iits called shark alley from here and also what trips are there to see the whales, or can we see them close up without going on a trip.

Surrey
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: sharkCage from hermanys

Hi

There are many shark diving operators in Gansbaai - a short distance from Hermanus. I was originally going to stay in Hermanus but decided to stay in Gansbaai for the first leg of my trip so I didn't have to travel.

All the shark dive companies come to pick you up. Normally part of the cost is for them to come and pick people up from cape town, take you back to their place for brekkie, a de briefing and then onto the trip out to shark alley and diving with the sharks.

For whale watching, Hermanus is THE place to be. Apparently they come right up close to shore in Walkers Bay to breed and calf. They are seasonal and come in between the months of July - Sep/Oct.

You are in the right place to be for both activities. Have a great time !

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,407 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: sharkCage from hermanys

I'm sitting in my home in De Kelders (next to Gansbaai), looking out across the terrace at Walker Bay as I write this - and the whales are just starting to arrive. Hermanus is on the opposite shore. Misshark is right about the shark cage diving - the operators will collect you in Hermanus and take you on to Gansbaai and the short distance farther to Kleinbaai to board the boat. There are 7 companies, all usually charging the same. Your B&B can book it, or there are shops in town that do it. The fee includes your transportation, breakfast of some sort, a lecture on sharks and another (on the boat) about safety, 3+ hours on the water with several chances to go down in the cage with 3 or 4 other guests, and a videographer on board to record your trip. The DVD is available for a fee and sent to you in a couple of weeks if you order it. I did that 'shooting' a few times last year on 2 different boats, and both of them did a very professional job in finding sharks, managing the guests. It's an amazing experience.

Essex
Level Contributor
55 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: sharkCage from hermanys

I am doing exactly the same thing in Nov, 2 nights at Oceans Eleven and would also like to do a shark dive, but I would rather take the shark dive from Cape Town where I am staying longer. So my questions are:

1. Can you do the shark dive from Cape Town (do they just take you to Gansbaai anyway).

2. Is there much to see or do in Hermanus (I suppose I will be there 1.5 days in total), rather than using an entire day on a shark dive. (I'm not really a walker, I'm more sit on the sundeck and say oh look there's a whale).

4. Re: sharkCage from hermanys

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 pm, August 31, 2009