We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Cape Town Central
Search

Restaurants in and outside Cape Town

dk
5 posts
Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

Please, give me some advise on good restaurants in Cape town and surrounding area. Not too expensive.

We like meat, fish, shellfish, malay, and would also like to try traditional african cooking.

Mzansi
$$ - $$$, African
Reverie Social Table
$$$$, European, International
Osteria Tarantino
$$ - $$$, Italian, Neapolitan, Campania
Frankfurt, Germany
Destination Expert
for Garden Route
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
82 reviews
133 helpful votes
1. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

Hi, there are several websites for restaurants, try e.g. www.eatingout.co.za. To answer your question a little bit more specific (but I am not an expert, I have been to CT only once, but made some research):

Fish - Codfather is said to be good, for a decent chain restaurant you might try Ocean Basket (haven't eaten in either of them, not a fish fan at all!)

Malay - Biesmillah in Bo-Kaap. Very authentic, resonably priced (especially the starters), looks a bit sleazy from the outside, but decent food.

African food - Mama Africa might not be exactly the authentic African food you are looking for, but a good tourist spot to get started with African cuisine. It is a restaurant/bar/club which offers various dishes from different African countries, and if you come on particular nights, they are also having an African band. While the restaurant itself is very touristy (I personally did not find it too bad, quite tasty actually), its bar/live music joints seemed to me to be very popular with the coloured and black community - with two teenage children this might be a very good option to please everybody. I think Africa Café might be more the kind of thing you might be looking, but I can't comment.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
7 reviews
8 helpful votes
2. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

Hi, if you're looking for inexpensive sea foor, then the Ocean Basket is a very good option, it's a chain, so there are branches at various malls, I've eaten at the ocean Basket at the Canal Walk and at Tygervalley, both were very good value for money with lovely fresh fish, so I presume the others would have the same standard.

I've also hear good things about Cod Father, not been there myself.

For African, as Dudel suggested, Mama Africa, but then another dining experience which you may enjoy very much, but which is out of Cape Town in the winelands, is the Moyo restaurant at Spier.

Moyo, unlike any other restaurant, is set in Spier’s gardens on the werf. It is a magical dining experience to be savoured under a starlit sky – a sensory extravaganza! The tree-lined garden is filled with Bedouin tents and gazebos made from wrought iron, and tree houses almost reaching the clouds – clad with beautiful hand crafted copper water features. There are african ladies that wander around and offer to paint you face in traditional african style, and you can book a tree house table. This is fairly expensive, but lovely, and perhaps you could combine it with a day in the winelands and book a night at Spier so you don't have to drive back to CT afterwards.

Other ideas are the Catlle Baron chain of restaurants if you enjou steak, or also the Famous Butchers Grill.

For cheaper and louder but fun, the Primi Piatti group make good pizza and italian style dishes.

Somerset
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
3. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

We like Ocean Basket, best are at Canal Walk, V & A Waterfron and Somerset Mall.

Out of Cape Town, "96 Winery Road" is near Stellenbosch and located on Zandberg Farm and believe it or not is at 96 Winery Road. Moyo at Spier gets good write-ups.

For a lunch time picnic our favourite is between Stellenbosch and Franschoek at Boschendal Wine Estate. Buy a picnic basket and sit at the tables under the trees to eat it - fantastic.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
684 reviews
459 helpful votes
4. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

Hi,

Just back from Cape Town and two MUST restaurants

The Showroom - theshowroomrestaurant.co.za

A vibrant open plan restaurant set at the side of a Ferrari / Porsche car showroom. Unusual setting but food, ambience and service all 5 star. Excellent chef

Pigalle - pigallerestaurants.co.za

Dine in luxury to the sound of the 60's & 70's resident jazz/swing band. Once again, food, ambience & service all 5 star.

You will need to book ahead for these two.

Andy

Newcastle upon...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
5. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

around 4 years since we were there but we tried lots of restaurants some from national guide book for best restaurants.

In top ten was blue danube, (kluftneck) food good but poor atmosphere.

5 flys, not good.

The Restaurant, (green point) we rated this the best for food and atmosphere.

Codfather, dissapointing.

Spiers winery buffet was excellent.

Cape town fish market (V&A and shopping centre?) great for sushi and fish.

primi piatti and cattle baron are good value chain restaurants as previously mentioned.

good bar in camps bay is dizzys

Cap[e Town
4 posts
6. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

cape Town fish market in the waterfront great for seafood - when shopping at canal walk (Biggest in cape town) try John Dorys for great value fish and everything else - Wakame in Mouille Point near the Radisson hotel great for Sushi and fish and views. Try Africa cafe for unique tastes of dishes from throughout Africa near the City Centre - Green Dolphin restaurant in the waterfront for great jazz but prices are high. Bayside cafe in Camps Bay for great vibe after sunset opposite Camps bay beach. The deck at Radisson hotel for a great buffet at lunchtime with l;ots of wine in a great cosmopolitan seeting next to the sea and marina with seagulls overhead and robben island views in the distance.

East Coast
7 posts
7. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

even though it's part of the waterfront, most of my friends think that willoughby's has the best sushi.

you might want to try polana in kalk bay for some mozambican prawns and gorgeous views.

london
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
6 helpful votes
8. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

Just got back today from C.T. 5 flies is the resturant we all liked , it is a little different Taxi from waterfront was 40 rand . The meal was £125 rand for 2 course ( you could choose starter or dessert) 3 courses about £175 you can also pay a little extra for the more expensive things, very good menu, excellant food, very friendly place. They love to show you round and have quite a story to tell as to why 5 flies! Worth trying

Edinburgh, United...
Level Contributor
649 posts
115 reviews
142 helpful votes
9. Re: Restaurants in and outside Cape Town
Save

Heartly agree with Wilson - 5 Flies was our most outstanding Cape Town Meal

Birmingham,UK
6 posts
1 review
4 helpful votes