We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Cape Town Central
Search

Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?

Level Contributor
164 posts
Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?
Save

Is it possible to do a full day self drive trip to the following locations?

- Muizenberg

- Kalk Bay

- Simon's Town

- Boulders Beach

- Cape Point

- Cape of Good Hope

- LUNCH at Constantia (La Colombe)

- Kommietije

- Noordhoek

- Chapman's Peak Drive

- Hout Bay.

Please advise also on the suggested sequence? We want to avoid rushing from one location to another, any pit stops that I could remove from the itinerary? Thanks!

johannesburg
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
29 helpful votes
1. Re: Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?
Save

no. it will be a mad chase. thats FAR too much. its possible to do it, in the sense that one can drive it in a day, but you will be driving non-stop.

what to remove depends on what you want to see- how did you arrive at those destinations? what are the criteria?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
164 posts
15 reviews
6 helpful votes
2. Re: Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?
Save

It's totally doable but it would be rushed. I did it recently myself.

But there's no reason why you can't. I would remove Simon's town or Boulder's Beach though.

johannesburg
Level Contributor
58 posts
24 reviews
29 helpful votes
3. Re: Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?
Save

ok, lets look at the route. i am not sure where you are staying, but lets assume its in or near Cape Town central itself.

you are going anti-clockwise around the Peninsula , starting in Cape Town.

drive via Sea Point and then Camps Bay to:

Hout Bay.- quaint fishing village. have a look at the harbour, if you are hungry buy some fish and chips.

Chapman's Peak Drive- i think the most beautiful drive in the world. better than USA highway 1, or Italian Amalfi coast in my view. BUT- check that it is open- it is subject to closures due to rockfalls and weather quite often ( its also a toll road, so you will have to pay, but i dont think its a lot)

Noordhoek- a spectacular beach, wide, long and ''wild''. ice cold water! the village itself is nice in the old part, less so in the newer areas.

Kommietije- quaint little village, nice beach. still ice cold water!

Cape Point- where the Indian Ocean meets the Atlantic- only it doesnt! (thats Cape Agulhas). take a drive into the reserve, walk to the very tip.

Boulders Beach- penguins! good place for tea.

Simon's Town- old British naval town. used to be the Navy''s base ( when we still had one!) take a walk down the main road. warm sea- water at last!

Kalk Bay- another fishing harbour. nice to take a walk around, also along the main road- nice old shops.

Muizenberg- once the main bathing beach, in the 1950's. a bit run down- like Brighton in a way. not much to see, but have a slow drive through anyway. dont follow the main road- you need to get onto the highway to get to Constantia .

LUNCH at Constantia (La Colombe)- worth at least an hour or two

back to Cape Town central.

it can be done, but you will need to watch your time, particularly in the morning, as you need to be in time for lunch. all the sights , as you can see, are before lunch.

(Cape of Good Hope- the whole area (Cape Town and its surrounds) is called the Cape Of Good Hope- its not a single place .- unless you meant something else?)

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
10,400 posts
64 reviews
79 helpful votes
4. Re: Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?
Save

Might be better to look at a map and see how to fit in Constantia at sometime near, say, 100PM, for lunch. It's most easily reached from Hout Bay. You will need to skip some stops to be able to do it.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
8,729 posts
24 reviews
44 helpful votes
5. Re: Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?
Save

Skip the penguins?! Absolutely not!! That's the highlight of the whole day.

Slow down. Try to experience, not just drive through. S Africa is beautiful and takes time to enjoy.

6. Re: Cape Peninsula + Constantia in one day?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, November 09, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central