We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wineries near cape town

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
Wineries near cape town
Save

Hello friends! I am planning a trip to South Africa in Jan/Feb 2017. I plan on renting a car and doing the garden route and cape town for about a week of my trip. I really want to check out some great wineries and I was wondering what the best area would be/ must see wineries that are either along the garden route or a short drive from Cape Town.

Is there any location that will ave a few wineries close together so I could make it a wine tasting day?

Any advice will be helpful

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,609 posts
5 reviews
1 helpful vote
1. Re: Wineries near cape town
Save

all of the wine regions have many farms near each other and its very possible to do a wine tasting day. if you driving the garden route and staying in Hermanus, they have some great wine farms all along the same road.

otherwise choose an area like Franschhoek (they actually have a wine tram that leaves from the town and stops at a few farms or there are even bicycle tours of wine farms) or Stellenbosch and choose the farms that appeal, there are lots! you might want to arrange a tour/driver so you don't have to worry about drinking and driving or spend the night nearby.

sandy - owner - Love Africa Travel

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
179 posts
144 reviews
86 helpful votes
2. Re: Wineries near cape town
Save

Wine areas have multiple farms and you can travel between each one during a day, or 2. I really suggst a max of 4 farms, maybe 5 at a push as you can add in a breakfast at one, and lunch at another and all this takes time - get out early to explore and enjoy. It stays light until late in CT in summer, but not all the farms will stay open late so check timing. Also, be aware that some may be closed on a Sunday. You can also find a place to stay overnight in that area and perhaps enjoy one of the gourmet restaurants in the area.

Stellenbosch - can do a day trip

Durbanville - closest to the city

Paarl - can do a day trip here

Worcester

Elgin/Gabouw - staying here in January at Belfield a boutique estate

Tulbagh - Stayed at Saronsberg and explored the area - its beautiful

Robertson/Montagu/McGregor

Franschoek - recently did a weekend here and all we did was wine tasting and eat at some delightful spots!

What are you also looking for at a wine estate? Historic interest? Art/gallery interest? Organic farming? Architecture?

Google activities or festivals over the time you are visiting as you could go and crush grapes, or have a chocolate/wine pairing event, or an organic market etc.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
134 posts
17 reviews
9 helpful votes
3. Re: Wineries near cape town
Save

Thank you for all the help! I will look into whether there will be festivals or events going on when I am going! I am so excited!

Cape Town, South...
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
7,196 posts
69 reviews
102 helpful votes
4. Re: Wineries near cape town
Save

Don't forget about the wineries in the Constantia valley which is in the southern suburbs of the city.

sa-venues.com/things-to-do/…

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
179 posts
144 reviews
86 helpful votes
5. Re: Wineries near cape town
Save

Oooh, forgot Constantia! Yes, definitely an option as close to the city and easily accessible. The Hop-on-Hop-off bus goes to Constantia so investigate this options. This bus is also a great way to get yourself orientated with the city and area, and also helps reduce "travel costs"if you don't want to use Uber or hire a car.

See this link for some more info on Constantia - http://constantiawineroute.com/

p.s. I was checking out AirBnB last night and there are some great "City Host" immersion experiences noted. I have not done any of them so cannot formally comment, but, it may be something to look at.

6. Re: Wineries near cape town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 27, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central