We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Cape Town Central
Search

Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town
Save

Hi

Anyone aware about the following:

Is it mandatory to be a licensed driver for a minimum of 12 months to rent a car in Cape Town? Because I have a license since May 16 and would need to rent a car in Jan 17.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
1. Re: Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town
Save

Most rental agencies in South Africa, AFAIK, require a driver to be licensed for 12 months before they will be allowed to rent a car.

Others may know more.

Good luck

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
26 posts
1 review
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town
Save

Oh. That is pretty disappointing. Is it possible to rent a car someone else's name like a local contact and then use it for driving?

Edited: 7:21 am, October 13, 2016
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
3. Re: Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town
Save

Sounds a bit dodgy. Contact all of the rental places and explain, some may have a policy that is different. Whilst a car makes things a lot easier, it is not required to get around cape town. Use MyCiti, HoHo buses, taxis or uber. If you want to do tours of wineries or Cape of Good hope people on here can point you towards tour companies.

I seem to remember from your past posts that you're on honeymoon. I assume your bride to be doesn't drive either?

Edited: 8:06 am, October 13, 2016
London, United...
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
4. Re: Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town
Save

Sounds a bit dodgy. Contact all of the rental places and explain, some may have a policy that is different. Whilst a car makes things a lot easier, it is not required to get around cape town. Use MyCiti, HoHo buses, taxis or uber. If you want to do tours of wineries or Cape of Good hope people on here can point you towards tour companies.

I seem to remember from your past posts that you're on honeymoon. I assume your bride to be doesn't drive either?

Edited: 8:04 am, October 13, 2016
Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
5,688 posts
5. Re: Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town
Save

" Is it possible to rent a car someone else's name like a local contact and then use it for driving?"

And what would happen if there was a mishap.. even a tiny "bumper bashing"?

This could lead to all sorts of legal consequences, I would think

6. Re: Driving license requirements for renting a car im Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 15, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central