We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
TripAdvisor
Cape Town Central
Search

Driving Around

NYC
1 post
Driving Around
Save

My husband and I are going to SA and can't decide whether we should hire a tour guide to take us around for 6 days or just rent a car. We've heard scary things about carjackings and combine that with driving on the other side of the road...i don't know how easy it would be. Any suggestions anyone?

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
15,518 posts
25 reviews
40 helpful votes
1. Re: Driving Around
Save

They don't drive on the other side of the road. You do!

Driving around Cape Town is pretty easy. Most roads are well made and well signposted. It might be worth knowing that traffic lights are called robots. If you've never driven on the correct side of the road, you might find that you have to concentrate more than usual for a while, but I've done thousands of miles on the wrong side in Europe, Asia, Africa and Central America and you soon get used to it.

I'm sure you could find a good tour guide to drive you, but what if you don't get on with him/her? I can't imagine that I'd want to take that risk with my hard earned vacation.

Carjackings - well what can anyone say? If they didn't happen, there wouldn't be a word for them. I don't recall anyone on TA saying that they'd been a victim, but maybe that's a bad sign - they're either too traumatised or dead. Seriously, though how does the risk of getting car jacked compare to, say the chance of getting shot in a US city? We hear pretty dreadful things about gin crime in the states but we recognise that such misfortune seldom befalls tourists - and we still come.

Lock the doors, remember to look over your right shoulder when you pull off and to get in at the drivers side when you filled up with gas (don't ask) and more than likely you'll be fine.

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
2. Re: Driving Around
Save

Hi there

Which part of SA are you spending the 6 days?

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,578 posts
3. Re: Driving Around
Save

One thing you probably want to make sure of is that you order an automatic. Most cars in South Afrca aren't.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
3,819 posts
43 reviews
11 helpful votes
4. Re: Driving Around
Save

Hello luckyg13,

Hiring a car will give you more freedom.

Where are you planning to visit.

It can be a bit of a problem driving and looking at scenery!!!

You have to weigh up the cost versus the peace of mind.

Are you looking at hiring a car and a guide or driver to drive you ?

or

are you looking for a person with their own vehicle ?

or

are you also looking at going on Scheduled Tours?

5. Re: Driving Around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:20 am, August 26, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central