We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Car in Cape Town

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
22 helpful votes
Renting a Car in Cape Town
Save

I will be traveling to Cape town during December'16, there are 4 of us and we plan to drive from Cape town to Knysna and then drive back to Cape town. We will start on 15th Dec and will be back on 25th Dec. We plan to rent a car for this duration, wanted to know the best car renting options. I also wanted to know about the various insurance options and which one I should go for. This is the first time I will be hiring a car outside India and hence I am a complete newbie regarding this.

Harrogate, United...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
42 reviews
14 helpful votes
1. Re: Renting a Car in Cape Town
Save

Avis

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,017 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
2. Re: Renting a Car in Cape Town
Save

Plenty of choices. Just stick to the big ones Avis is not the only option there is: hertz, budget, europcar, enterprise, etc. You can either go direct to the website or use a broker. I generally find brokers are cheaper.

Well you can buy rental car insurance in India before you go for fairly cheap or buy it direct from the car insurance company for a lot.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
22 helpful votes
3. Re: Renting a Car in Cape Town
Save

Hi There,

That sounds interesting, buying insurance in India. Thanks for the idea will explore that

west yorkshire
Level Contributor
225 posts
20 reviews
7 helpful votes
4. Re: Renting a Car in Cape Town
Save

Hi Ankit,

I agree with Biertje2015. I did a very similar trip over the Christmas/New year, picking the car up from the airport and our car broke down on New Years day. Fortunately the big companies have offices all over South Africa and were open. I limped into the Avis office and was taken back to my accommodation then provided with a replacement car the day after. This amazed me as I am aware how difficult it is to get a hire car, at the last minute over the busy holiday period.

I also always take out excess Hire Car insurance before I travel from the UK, this works out much cheaper than the cover Hire Car companies try to sell you on pick up.

Have a great trip Knysna and the trip are great.

Yangon (Rangoon...
Level Contributor
7 posts
29 reviews
22 helpful votes
5. Re: Renting a Car in Cape Town
Save

Turns out I can't buy insurance in India for renting cars outside the country.

In this case, shall I go for the highest cover or slightly lower level which will include excess of ~ZAR5500.

6. Re: Renting a Car in Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, September 20, 2017
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central