We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

south africa and victoria falls

bournemouth
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
south africa and victoria falls

Hello, would like to combine a visit to south africa with visit to victoria falls. Overall plan is to fly to cape town stay for 3 days with relative then hire a car and drive garden route then fly to Kruger for few days and then fly to victoria falls for few days returning from Jo'burg. Have been advised that internal flights are cheap and car hire acessible, safe and reasonable.

Any advice on best flight deals from uk that can go to cape town and return from Jo berg, also on best place to stay/see in Kruger and vic falls. 2 adults 55 and 60, main interests wildlife/scenery. type of accom not important just clean.

any tips very much appreciated. May looks most likely time for 14/17 days.

bdk
SA
Level Contributor
358 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: south africa and victoria falls

Try www.flymango.com and www.kulula.com for cheap domestic flights.

Absolute bargains to be found in the town of Victoria Falls, due to the collapse of the tourism industry.

(Most people stay in Livingstone Zambian side of the falls.)

Great package deals are available ex Johannesburg.

Kruger: Depends on your budget. From say ZAR500 per couple per night self-catering in National Parks accommodation (self-drive safari) (www.sanparks.org) to thousands per night, but a different experience, at a private game lodge.

Tempe, Arizona
Destination Expert
for South Africa, Sabi Sand Game Reserve
Level Contributor
8,535 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: south africa and victoria falls

I'm no fan of driving the garden route. There are no gardens. Lots of

souvenir shops. Some gorgeous scenery which you reach after several hours driving through wheat fields. But - if you do go, I recommend Abalone Guest House in Knysna.

SOUTH AFRICA
Level Contributor
2,542 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: south africa and victoria falls

Another option for flights form Jhb to Livingstone, would be Nationwide Airlines. www.nationwide.co.za

I can highly recommend that you drive the Garden Route. When driving from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth, you won't be driving in the Karoo. Rather you will be driving along the coast and through of the most scenic areas in our country. You could then fly from PE to Nelspruit, and from there rent a car to do Kruger. Alternatively, and if your budget allows for it, visit one of the private safarik lodges near to Kruger National Park. (For game viewing the lodges in the Sabi Sand and Timbavati Reserves are the best.) The lodge that you're staying at could then arrange a road transfer from the airport in Nelspruit to the lodge. (If you stay in Timbavati or Northern Sabi Sands, you would rather fly to Hoedspruit, and not Nelspruit.)

Good affordable lodges in the Sabi Sands:

Inyati

Elephant Plains

Nkorho

Djuma Bush Lodge

Timbavati:

Gomo Gomo (the option of their safari tented accommodation is highly recommended)

Loch Lomond and The...
Level Contributor
12 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: south africa and victoria falls

hello..we are going to s.a. early march on a south africa airways flight from heathrow which was approx £400 for flying into joburg but out of capetown so i guess they would do the other way round. i booked mine through trailfinders.

i have booked flights from joburg to livingstone and from joburg to port elizabeth but they aint cheap.

have you worked out how you will get from the garden route to to kruger? then you need to go back to joburg for a flight to livingstone / vic falls which led me to abandon kruget and go to madikwe game reserve driving accross from joburg which also lets me stay a couple of nights at sun city and get some golf in!

i finally booked all my trip through an agent who has people in milton keynes and capetown and having checked his prices against internet deals very well worth it.

5. Re: south africa and victoria falls

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:20 pm, August 19, 2009