We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another accomodation question

Finland
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Another accomodation question

I'm planning a trip to Cape Town in July. Yes, I know the weather can be bad but I don't mind that. I'm not a fan of the warm weather...

I'm going to be there for about 9-10 days and doing a lot of tours. I'm not going to rent a car because my previous expreriences tell me I'm a really bad driver in the "wrong" side of the road. Basically this means I'll be using the services of local day tour operators quite a lot. What would be the best area in Cape Town for me to get my accomodation? I guess the Centre can't be that bad but do I gain security wise something by choosing another area?

Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
City Sightseeing
City Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Cape Convoy
Shark Diving, Historical & Heritage Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Lucky and Lost Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Cape Town
Level Contributor
1,172 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Another accomodation question

In my opinion your safest and most accessible bet would be near the Waterfront. Its the central tourist area so will be easy to get transport. It also means you will be in walking distance of food and enterainment and wont always have to worry about a taxi.

However 9-10 days is quite long to stay in just that one place, so you might consider breaking it up and spending a few nights on the Peninsula like Kalk Bay or Simon's town, and a night or two in the winelands.

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,366 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Another accomodation question

You might consider doing a short tour down the Garden Route from Cape Town to Port Elizabeth (see example below) and then go from there to a game park e.g. Addo. It would be a pity to come to Africa and not see an elephant.

Tour example: springbokatlas.co.za/… see tour 4 DAY GARDEN ROUTE SPLENDOUR COACH TOUR (SCP4)

http://hyltonross.com/tour.garden_route.php (maybe ends in PE)

Finland
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Another accomodation question

Thanks for the Garden route tip, but I think I'm going to do a separate journey another time to see really good game reserves (like Kruger). I think I'll have plenty to see in CT and surroundings...

Hatter, I'm going to seriously consider your advice about spending a couple of nights in the winelands. Meanwhile I was checking a lot of Waterfront hotels and really didn't find anything that would have been both nice and not overtly expensive. However I was checking the Cape Heritage Hotel in Heritage Square and the hotel seems really nice. What do you think of that area?

switzerland
Level Contributor
142 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Another accomodation question

hi tummi*

well, i wonder if this is you real name... :o)i dont know which budget you re on, but have a look at these pages:

-http://www.sa-venues.com/maps/southern-suburbs-accommodation-map.htm

click on red dots to get info on accomm. in specific area. there is a link to B&B on this page as well(at the bottom) , link to it:

http://www.sa-venues.com/cape-town-bandb.htm

-http://www.bazbus.com/accommodation.aspx

-http://www.bwl.co.za/

i have stayed in johannesburg for a year as an exchange student (thats where my name is from). i always stayed privately, so i cannot recommend accomm; but I agree with you, CT is well worth a 10day visit. it is such a stunning city.

hope you will enjoy

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Another accomodation question

Hi Tummi,

During the month of July you should definitely be able to get great deals at all Waterfront hotels. I would definitely recommend

serviced apartments at Waterfront Village, www. waterfrontvillage.info. Cape Heritage Hotel is a very nice hotel but

it is situated in the centre of the City which is fine during the day but not at night and, during the winter months, it becomes dark fairly early.

Two or three nights in Franschhoek at La Petite Ferme would be a nice break but you would need a car.

Hope this info. helps.

Finland
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Another accomodation question

Thanks for that, Waterfront Village seems to be a perfect place for me! I will very probably stay there.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Another accomodation question

Tummi, when you make a reservation, make sure you get an apartment on the first floor or higher as those on ground level do not have such good views.

If you like, I can check out the exact apartment during the course of next week or whenever as I spend quite a lot of time in that area.

Let me have your email address if you do not mind displaying it on this forum.

Hope you enjoy Cape Town.

Finland
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Another accomodation question

Thanks, but I guess I not going to spend a lot of time there when sun's up so the view isn't that important. But I will definitely ask for an apartment which is not on the ground level.

It seems that cybercapetown.com is offering the best deal there. Do you know if they are a reliable agent?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,704 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Another accomodation question

Called Village and Life who manages Waterfront Village.

They confirmed that cybercapetown.com has an account with them

and the company is very reliable.

Finland
Level Contributor
273 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Another accomodation question

Thank you very much for your efforts! You have been very helpful!