We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mount Nelson or Atlantic House?

USA
2 posts
Save Topic
Mount Nelson or Atlantic House?

Arriving from a tour to Cape Town the last week of Feb through 1st week of March. The tour stays at the Arabella Sheraton for 4 nights.. We are staying for 3 days at the end of the tour. Have read wonderful reviews for both the Mount Nelson and Atlantic House. How windy will it be at Atlantic House the first of March? If you had 3 nights to spend in Cape Town after already having stayed at the Arabella Sheraton for 4 nights, which would you recommend?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mount Nelson or Atlantic House?

I would recommend the Mount Nelson, it is just so special, and almost like something out of a different era, yet with all mod cons. The service is lovely and the gardens, food and ambience divine. If I could afford it, I would not hesitate but jump at the chance to stay there. I know they do offer a shuttle service to the Waterfront, but it is not in walking distance of the Waterfront area.

It may or may not be windy in March, one can't tell really, the weather is so changeable.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
2,678 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mount Nelson or Atlantic House?

I second technobabe's opinion. Atlantic House is a Guest House (no service) situated in Camps Bay which is quite far from the Waterfront and, when it is windy, Camps Bay gets it full force.

The Mount Nelson is an old, established landmark hotel, beautifully maintained, with service everywhere and where you will really be pampered. The Gardens of the hotel are lovely and, from there, you can walk through the "Company's Gardens" of Cape Town city, where the the first seeds were sowed in 1652 in order to provide fruit and vegetables for those sailors who stopped in Table Bay to get fresh provisions when they were on their to the east.

The Company's Gardens are lined with several historical buildings

which would provide you with additional insight into the background of South Africa.

Enjoy.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
3,529 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Mount Nelson or Atlantic House?

Do you like big and beautiful (very!) or small but luxurious? Despite my preference for small guest houses, given the choice and the money I would force myself to stay in a large hotel, if it was the Mount Nelson. Camps Bay is a lovely place and Atlantic House looks great. However you are comparing a top-class hotel (with prices to match R4,000 pn upwards against a guest house, albeit it luxurious (R600 - R900 pn). If you are happy with the price definately go for the Mount Nelson.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,793 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mount Nelson or Atlantic House?

Even if you go for the Atlantic, you must try afternoon tea at the Nellie. A must

5. Re: Mount Nelson or Atlantic House?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 17, 2009