We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Stellenbosch town by public transport

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to Stellenbosch town by public transport

Hi,

I am going to Cape Town in Jan 2007. I want to take a trip to Stellenbosch town/University area from Cape Town city centre. None of the South African national bus companies appear to offer same day return trips to Stellenbosch from Cape Town. It appears that the train system might be unsafe for tourists. Any other public transport options without paying a huge taxi fee?. Maybe taxis in South Africa are cheap ? Any ideas folks?I do not wish to take a day tour in those minibuses.

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,498 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to Stellenbosch town by public transport

Here is a web site where you could book your trip:

www.geocities.com/kingsbackpack/taxi.html

They are members of the Cape Town Tourist authority. If you check on the link for prices, they give a price from CT to Stellenbosch at R275 for one way (I think it's one way), so you would probably have to double that for both ways. It is quite expensive I think, but if you don't want to drive yourself, it looks like you could decide times etc with them.

Then there is the link to the bus service that is provided for toursits who are staying in hostels, it's called the Bazz Bus and has a sort of hop on hop off idea, but you do need to book trips with them. I think you could email them to find out prices.

hostelworld.com/tours/…

Then another option, but it seems you would need to stay in Stellenbosch two nights to make use of this, because the trip TO Stellenbosch from Cape Town seems to ALWAYS be late evening, whereas the returen trip from Stellenbosch to Cape Town in early morning. This is the mainliner bus service, there is the option of Greyhound or Translux. The price per jouney is not bad, about R90 one way, but as I say the times don't really work out for you.

http://www.translux.co.za/

Also check out Hylton Ross websites and see what they have to offer, perhaps a day trip with them may be nice, or email and see if you could book just the trip with them and do your own thing once there, perhaps they would negotiate a price for you, they are a very reputable company.

2. Re: Day trips to Stellenbosch town by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, August 17, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Cape Town Central