We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Stellenbosch by public transport

dublin, ireland
Level Contributor
10 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips to Stellenbosch by public transport

I am going to Cape Town in early Jan 2007. I want to take a day trip to Stellenbosch town from Cape Town city centre. None of the national bus companies appear to offer same day return trips and it appears that the trains are unsafe for tourists. What other options are there without paying a hefty taxi fare?. I do not want to take a day tour with tour company. Any ideas? Thanks

Cape Town Helicopters
Helicopter Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Air Tours
Lucky and Lost Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours, Day Trips
Baz Bus - Day Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Hop-On Hop-Off Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Bus Tours
Cape Photographic Company
Photography Tours, Sightseeing Tours
New York
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips to Stellenbosch by public transport

You can take the trains- I did so when I was a student there (I'm from the US). Same cautions apply as when in City Centre- don't display a lot of money or electronics, follow your gut.

Other suggestions include renting a car--it's prob about 45 minute drive from Cape Town and rates are reasonable. Also try contacting wineries themselves, as they may have transport available. Spier is a Disneyland-type affair, they may be your best bet.

Best of luck!

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
1,500 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips to Stellenbosch by public transport

Cab, when were you a student here? The trains are sometimes ok, but I who am resident here will not take them nor allow my children to do so.

Iffabug, I repeat the information I posted on the other question seeing as that you posted the same question twice. I'm not sure if you read it and it's now on the bottom of the page:

Here is a web site where you could book your trip:

They are members of the Cape Town Tourist authority. If you check on the link for prices, they give a price from CT to Stellenbosch at R275 for one way (I think it's one way), so you would probably have to double that for both ways. It is quite expensive I think, but if you don't want to drive yourself, it looks like you could decide times etc with them.

Then there is the link to the bus service that is provided for toursits who are staying in hostels, it's called the Bazz Bus and has a sort of hop on hop off idea, but you do need to book trips with them. I think you could email them to find out prices.

Then another option, but it seems you would need to stay in Stellenbosch two nights to make use of this, because the trip TO Stellenbosch from Cape Town seems to ALWAYS be late evening, whereas the returen trip from Stellenbosch to Cape Town in early morning. This is the mainliner bus service, there is the option of Greyhound or Translux. The price per jouney is not bad, about R90 one way, but as I say the times don't really work out for you.

Also check out Hylton Ross websites and see what they have to offer, perhaps a day trip with them may be nice, or email and see if you could book just the trip with them and do your own thing once there, perhaps they would negotiate a price for you, they are a very reputable company.

3. Re: Day trips to Stellenbosch by public transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 17, 2009
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travelers like you.
Join TripAdvisor